Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am starting the Msc in Bioinformatics this September. I am wondering which laptop will be suitable. I think i will need a unix OS because of the computer programming in perl, java etc but also need something that can dispay the molecules etc when i view my results etc

Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What sort of requirements do you have? Price, actual specs, etc.

You certainly don't need a Unix device for programming. Windows is perfectly fine for programming. If there is some sort of requirement that you need a Unix OS the only machines you can buy with a Unix OS pre installed are Macbooks. Which limits your options considerably. You can of course buy any machine you like and dual boot it to run Unix or Unix like operating systems.

If this weren't related to an IT field then I'd happily rattle off my usual list of recommendations, specs and price points. But I feel like anyone who's going to be doing something IT related at university should have at least a rudimentary knowledge of computers. I don't want to cause offence but if you're going to be doing programming units (and likely other IT related stuff in bioinformatics) but don't know what laptop is ideal then I'd be questioning just how appropriate that degree is.

You'll do much better if you research this yourself and ask specific questions, rather than just a generic "what laptop should I get". If you do some research and ask questions about different models, whether something is appropriate and so on you'll learn things that will be useful for your degree. Start by looking at what sort of things you'll be doing (what applications you'll be using and so on) and look for recommended specs. Then look for laptops that meet that spec.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Lukex2)
    Hi,

I am starting the Msc in Bioinformatics this September. I am wondering which laptop will be suitable. I think i will need a unix OS because of the computer programming in perl, java etc but also need something that can dispay the molecules etc when i view my results etc

Thanks
    Ask your department if you need a Unix-like environment. You can always dual-boot, which is what I do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.