Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graduated with a higher diploma, have I fxcked my chances having a career in IB? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So i basically had severe depression throughout my 2nd and 3rd year in Uni which made it hard for me to leave my room and missed out on a lot of opportunities.

I've messed up and graduated with a Higher Education Diploma in Chemical Engineering.

I've tried appealing and explaining my circumstances however my appeal has been rejected. I'm wondering what can I do now that I have a Higher Education Diploma in Chemical Engineering?

I would like to pursue a career in Investment banking, stock trading, etc...

Is Open university out of the question? or is there any other ways I can go through to get into IB?

Literally any help is much appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    without a degree i don't believe it to be possible

ReputationRep:
    You can convert your diploma into a degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the diploma will cut it.
    Have you considered doing a second degree?

You could possibly do a distance level degree via Uol...I think it would only take you two years instead of three because of your previous University attendance but I am not sure. It would additionally cost you significantly less than a traditional degree and you could moreover work in the meantime.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by justdateriguy)
    So i basically had severe depression throughout my 2nd and 3rd year in Uni which made it hard for me to leave my room and missed out on a lot of opportunities.

I've messed up and graduated with a Higher Education Diploma in Chemical Engineering.

I've tried appealing and explaining my circumstances however my appeal has been rejected. I'm wondering what can I do now that I have a Higher Education Diploma in Chemical Engineering?

I would like to pursue a career in Investment banking, stock trading, etc...

Is Open university out of the question? or is there any other ways I can go through to get into IB?

Literally any help is much appreciated, thanks!
    For the moment - yes. Get your head sorted, and part of that will be to get some realistic and achievable professional goals. You don't have a degree, so you can't get a graduate role in the first instance (unless you have contacts).

Do a skills review of yourself and work out what skills and experience you do have and where that might fit. You may be able to get some help from your Uni careers service, even though you didn't graduate.

You need to do something, and I'd suggest something that has prospects for progress, so not basic retail, or volunteering - unless it's with an organisation you have an interest in and would want to leverage a paid role out of it.

Don't think in cliches about jobs, ie generic ' I want to work in finance', you need to narrow things down more than that. Look at the jobs people do, look around organisation websites and places like Linkedin looking at how people got to the jobs they currently do.

Plan the long game, without a degree it will take years to get a job that traditionally requires a degree, if you are lucky 2 years, but in many cases more like 6 or so. Have a think what the steps might be.

But first of all, get your health sorted. Employers aren't nearly as sympathetic as Uni about MH problems - they are paying you to leave your room.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.