Turn on thread page Beta

should Nepal be a secular country? watch

• View Poll Results: Should Nepal be a secular country?
    Yes
    60.00%
    No
    30.00%
    What's Nepal?
    10.00%

ReputationRep:
    i saw this debate going on somewhere and dont know much about the issues involved and the advantages of it becoming secular and why it needed to etc so were wondering what peoples opinions on it were?

could mods add a poll "yes" or "no" thanks!

no one????? does anyone even know where nepal is lol

ReputationRep:
    Asking whether a country should be secular or not is somewhat similar to asking whether a country should be governed by democratic civilian rule or a dictatorship, and I would think that the majority of people here would support secular law in all countries.

Furthermore, Nepal is a relatively pluralistic country when compared with theocratic states such as Saudi Arabia and Iran so could also be problematic if they chose to implement religious law. Although, they could go for the Malaysian model, which of course has its own problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -1984-)
    Although, they could go for the Malaysian model, which of course has its own problems.
    The Malaysian model is retarded.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't Nepal where the prince killed his whole family at the dinner table because they didn't like his choice of girlfriend?

Anyway, secular always gets my vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _jackofdiamonds)
    Wasn't Nepal where the prince killed his whole family at the dinner table because they didn't like his choice of girlfriend?

Anyway, secular always gets my vote.
    His choice of bride to be exact. She came from a cadet-line of a rival Royal family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by decola)
    The Malaysian model is retarded.
    I concur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -1984-)
    I concur.
    But cannot admit that... must maintain facade of racial harmony and keeping face....

ReputationRep:
    All countries should be secular, as religion has been the single biggest cause of war, death and destruction ever.

P.S. If not, then all us militant atheists will kill j00!1!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleh)
    All countries should be secular, as religion has been the single biggest cause of war, death and destruction ever.
    Am I the only atheist who cringes whenever they read stuff like that?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I agree with his stance in favour of secularism, but he's being a tad dramatic to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Malaria is obviously the biggest killer. Religion is a close second though.

*runs away*

ReputationRep:
    It is not for us to say whether Nepal should be secular or not. Nepal has been a Hindu kingdom for centuries, but that is they way the locals like it. Just as with Buddhism in Bhutan, religion is a dominating and uniting factor in the Himalayan kingdoms, and it is not our place to judge them and their traditions.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.