Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :mad: Hi, rite! basically.. ive always been a bit chubby.. my mums a health fanatic and ive always had a really balanced diet. i currently weigh 11st and am 5"7. (19, female) this makes my BMI just under 25, on the verge of overweight. i'm just wondering why i find it so difficult to lose weight! i dont do any form of exercise as such, but i do loads of walking (cant afford to run my car :rolleyes: ) and i eat quite well...

dinner- sometimes skip but usually branflakes and milk
    lunch- Ham salad and piece of fruit
    tea- rice with vegetables in a sauce/pasta/chicken with vegetable (something alog those lines)
    snacks- dried fruit, fruit, maybe some cereal)

this type of diet keeps my weight around the 11st mark which ive always been really unhappy with. about a year ago over about 6 months i lost 1.5st, taking my weight to 9st8. to losae this weight i had to be ridiculously strict otherwise i would basically lose nothing.. for example i would have to cycle 2 hours a day aswel as going swimming 4 times a week. and a couple of games of badminton in between. loads of dog walking aswel! i also ate barely anything, because if i did, i just wouldnt see the difference. i realised that this was not the life to lead and wasnt exactly healthy, also i went to uni and now, 7 months after uni started i weight the same as when i started!

So whats the problem with me?!! im so jealous of these people who can cut out fizzy drinks and lose like 3pounds a week! (i dont even drink the bloody fizzy drinks to be able to cut out!) im not exactly athletic..but come on im not a slob!

i hate being big..it really gets me down. anyone have any ideas?? sorry for rambling. much appreciated. xx

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, from what you have said, you have every right to rant.

I have a few tips:

- Cut out white carbs, eg eat brown rice instead of white etc.
    - Don't eat too late, as your metabolism slows down late at night.
    - Before eating, drink 2 cups of water (you will be less hungry, therefore eat less)
    - This may sound silly, but some people mistake being hungry for being thirsty, so before eating have a drink, then wait 10 mins.
    - some healthy food has hidden calories, such as there are some cereals that contain little fat, but contain a lot of sugar.
    - Exercise should be fun, so find a sport that you enjoy.

I hope I have helped, and if not you can rant at me at any time

it sounds like your body is stable at that weight and is used to the clean food,it would be best to just trya dn gain some confidence and learn to love yourself my friend

ReputationRep:
    But your not overweight!!

Your bmi is under 25 so there!
    You may be big boned, would you mind if i asked what your measurements are?
    Some of my tall friends probably weight the same as you (i dont know for sure), and they can really carry it off with there height. They look the same proportion as a size 8 just taller!
    Personally no one wants to go there whole life eating nothing. I bet you look great, healthy and fit ~ what more could you want!

A few tips:
    -never skip breakfast
    -watch out for fatty sauces in pasta/chicken, make your own from fresh veg!
    -agree with the drink water before meals

How about take you a sustainable sport? You said you did badminton/swimming, why dont you take it up again? you dont have to push your self too hard, just a few times a week when you want to, and you probably will see a difference.
    You'll be healthy and fit, look great, and be happy as your not a slave to your body.

ReputationRep:
    Your diet sounds very typical, the kind that plenty of people get/stay fat on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_ten)
    thats harsh...

her diet is far from fat fgs, I'd be suprised if that's even 1500 calories a day!

ReputationRep:
    you eat less than i do.. it does sound like that's around your natural weight, BUT some people might just have to work harder than other people to lose weight.
    It might help if you do some structured exercise like running (helps to burn fat-works for me) or swimming to help bring your heart rate up.

ReputationRep:
    Always eaten too much?

Weigh your portions and calculate how many calories you're eating a day, I bet you're underestimating how much you actually eat.

Sometimes, to lose weight, you do have to be ridiculously strict and work ridiculously hard. Such is life.

Also, dried fruit is trash, don't eat it.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with giving criticisms, but at least make them nicer and constructive, such as explaining which part of her diet she needs to change and how to change them!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replys! it does seem to be my natural weight yeah. i am a bit big boned i suppose you would say, and i have mega chunky arms! they're probably a bit of the reason! i have 30" jeans.. im not sure about measurements like elbow to shoulder or anything like that! im usually a size 12.

I do have problems drinking enough throughout the day, can this affect metabolism? i tend to forget which i know isnt good for my health generally.. I will start swimming and cycling regularly as i do actually enjoy that just sometimes struggle to find the time. will definitely make the effort!

thankyou x

ReputationRep:
    Theres no such thing as your "natural weight". Your weight is a product of your environment and your environment can be changed. Don't resign to being overweight becase some idiots on an internet forum tell you its "natural".

ReputationRep:
    Actuali there is such thing as a natural weight, for example me & my sister are the same height, do similar amound of excercise(walk 2 collage) & she eats more than me, Yet she is 6stone & i am 9stone. Some people are just naturally bigger...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sassy0x)
    Actuali there is such thing as a natural weight, for example me & my sister are the same height, do similar amound of excercise(walk 2 collage) & she eats more than me, Yet she is 6stone & i am 9stone. Some people are just naturally bigger...
    Narb is saying that this, like all physical things, is a product of 'genetics' and environmental influences (which includes all your voluntary eating and exercise habits). If two genetically different people have identical lifestyles they'll end up different, and vice versa

ReputationRep:
    no. not quite. she could be underestimating the amount she's actually consuming, as somebody has already said, but the actual food she says she's eating is healthy in itself.

ReputationRep:
    first off do your exercises, it boosts your metabolism, btw sodas and alcohol add MANY calories so only drink water (normal coke = 130 calories with 10 tsp sugar, normal beer = 170 calories, all those calories are pretty much useless)
    please realize alcohol is like the worst thing you could possibly tae if you want to improve your body... if ur happy with it then drink occasionally if you want (in case you do drink lol)

ReputationRep:
    I'd hardly call you big boned at a size 12 anyway. But regular exercise does really help to tone your body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    I'd hardly call you big boned at a size 12 anyway. But regular exercise does really help to tone your body.
    doesn't big boned mean you have.. big bones??
    i've got quite big bones (you can tell by the size of your wrist and your build etc) but i'm a size 8/10, whereas a friend of mine has tiny bones and is also a size 8/10
    the size of your bones is what i always thought 'big boned' meant.. unless is som sort of euphemism for fat.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think that swimming is the best thing to do, but there is definitely a 'natural weight'. I mean... Im 5ft 8, and I eat SO MUCH CRAP. For example my lunch today was 6 galaxy ice cream bars and a sprite, but the machine here at home never registers more than 15% fat...

I do do a bit of exercise, but its not alot, I think metabolism is the most important thing, short of starving yourself, there may not be a lot you can do, but to be honest, having a bit of weight is hardly a bad thing... Most guys love a girl with curves, I cant stand really skinny girls, they look like they are in poverty or something

ReputationRep:
    well im kind of i nthe same boat as u...my sister can eat and eat n eat without putting on a pound, but if i ate the same as her i would no joke be a beached whale. lol. what i do make sure though is the first thing i have in the morning is a detoxing drink like green tea and dont eat anything for half an hour as this will clean out the digestive tract and help ur body absorb the nutrients when u do come to eat next (i usually give it half an hour). fruit is a great thing to eat for breakfast as it had a high water content and is very detoxifying which can help a sluggish metabolism. have u checked with ur doctor that u dont have an underactive thyroid? this can manke weight loss very difficult. Also, green tea throughout the day is known to speed up metabolism as wel las cayenne pepper and chillies. make sure u dont cook with much oil and although dried fruit is nutritious its also high in sugar which when u eat it causes a rise in blood sugar levels making you crave more. low GI foods are great for keeping you fuller for longer. hope thats been of some helpoh anohter thing, do not eat much salt, because this causes water retention and bloating which you may mistake for fat. eating bananas (only a couple as they are high in sugar) due to their potassium content helps eliminate fluid retention as well as apricots.
    xx

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.