The Student Room Group

Royal College of Surgeons - Dublin, Medicine (2017 entry)

Anyone for 2017 entry for medicine at the RCSI in Dublin?

I am an UK student who would like to study Medicine in RCSI in Dublin. Does anyone have experience of it or know what's it like to be there?

I am thinking of doing a day-trip on flight to Dublin and have a visit to the campus.

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm also a UK student. I went to sit my HPAT (the medicine admissions test in Ireland) in RSCI. It's a beautiful building, all old with portraits and things and looked all traditional, I personally loved it. Trinity is basically the Oxford of Ireland, so that's obviously the top uni, but I'd definitely say RSCI is close ranking second for med. This year in my A Levels I got AAB in Maths Psycho and Chem respectively and I had a B in AS bio, so I missed out on my UK med offer from SGUL :frown: I've had rejections for 2016 entry from Trinity and UCC because they require biology, but am hearing from RSCI, Galway and UCD 1st Sept. If I'm unsuccessful I will be reapplying again next year (2017 entry) too and hopefully get a better HPAT score since my first one was pretty shocking. Anyways if you have any questions about the admissions process or whatever give me a shout and I'm happy to help.
Gez x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gezza_O'Brien
Hey, I'm also a UK student. I went to sit my HPAT (the medicine admissions test in Ireland) in RSCI. It's a beautiful building, all old with portraits and things and looked all traditional, I personally loved it. Trinity is basically the Oxford of Ireland, so that's obviously the top uni, but I'd definitely say RSCI is close ranking second for med. This year in my A Levels I got AAB in Maths Psycho and Chem respectively and I had a B in AS bio, so I missed out on my UK med offer from SGUL :frown: I've had rejections for 2016 entry from Trinity and UCC because they require biology, but am hearing from RSCI, Galway and UCD 1st Sept. If I'm unsuccessful I will be reapplying again next year (2017 entry) too and hopefully get a better HPAT score since my first one was pretty shocking. Anyways if you have any questions about the admissions process or whatever give me a shout and I'm happy to help.
Gez x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,I repeated a year already so I pretty much missed out on my possibility for UK admissions but still I am trying. I am in year 13 now (A2) doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I got ABBC for AS and RCSI say it is perfect as long as I achieve the predicted grades which they expect to be A*AA, I will see if school can give me a favour, because throughout the year I have been a high achiever.How did you prepare for your HPAT and when would you recommend me to start preparing for it? I did this free short test given by KAPLAN and it was hard - but not as hard as UKCAT tbh.Also, how much emphasis does RCSI have on grades - considering GCSE and A-Levels?I have booked a visit to RCSI on 31st August - so I will be flying soon - can't wait!! Do you think I will get a chance to see one of the admission tutors if for example I need to ask about the criteria or whatever?Thanks
Original post by ApplesTrees
Hey,I repeated a year already so I pretty much missed out on my possibility for UK admissions but still I am trying. I am in year 13 now (A2) doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I got ABBC for AS and RCSI say it is perfect as long as I achieve the predicted grades which they expect to be A*AA, I will see if school can give me a favour, because throughout the year I have been a high achiever.How did you prepare for your HPAT and when would you recommend me to start preparing for it? I did this free short test given by KAPLAN and it was hard - but not as hard as UKCAT tbh.Also, how much emphasis does RCSI have on grades - considering GCSE and A-Levels?I have booked a visit to RCSI on 31st August - so I will be flying soon - can't wait!! Do you think I will get a chance to see one of the admission tutors if for example I need to ask about the criteria or whatever?Thanks

Okay so first of all, I didn't get to see any admissions tutors when I was over there but I'm sure if you call and ask they'll be happy to see you. About the HPAT, the resources aren't cheap, but I'd say it's well worth buying a few of the practice tests. In terms of the sections, the first is basically GSCE maths and logic questions, they can be tricky and they put in answers to try and catch you out but I think it all comes with practice. The second section I found came the most naturally. They give you a scenario and you basically have to say what they're feeling or something. The only problems I had was the vocabulary they used. So, for example, they gave a scenario and asked is the person feeling a) aggrieved b)apprehensive c)distressed and either I didn't know what the words fully meant, or I thought all 3 would fit, but again I think it comes with practice. As for the last section, this for me was the hardest. It's sort of like the decision analysis section of the UKCAT but some of the questions were a bit different; definitely practice this section. Lastly you need to bare in mind that it is a written paper. They give you the paper and an answer sheet to mark which letter you think the answer is (from multiple choice). Make sure you time it right because you have a little more time than the UKCAT but don't be fooled, this is where I was caught out. I ended up panicking and guessing 4 or 5 because I simply didn't have the time to read it. Also, you do each section in order and CANNOT go back to a previous section to spend more time on it (they are very strict about this).

In terms of entry requirements, one very important thing to bare in mind is that NONE of the universities in Ireland consider a personal statement. Any relevant experience or your emotional aptitude to medicine isn't required. So to put it simply, if you're a complete genius without a caring bone in your body, you would get in. So yes unfortunately, grades are pretty important but I'm sure you'll be alright. You need a minimum of 480 points from A2 and AS to be considered
You get 150 for an A at A2 and 130 for a B at A2 and you also get an extra 25 points for having maths at A2 no matter what grade you get (even if you get an E). It all explains it all on the CAO website and explains the points on UCC's website.

There are only 5 Irish Uni's that do undergrad med: TDC, UCD, UCC, RCSI and NUI Gallway. However, unlike UCAS, you get 10 choices to put in so if filled the rest of mine with biomed just for the hell of it.

Any more questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay so first of all, I didn't get to see any admissions tutors when I was over there but I'm sure if you call and ask they'll be happy to see you. About the HPAT, the resources aren't cheap, but I'd say it's well worth buying a few of the practice tests. In terms of the sections, the first is basically GSCE maths and logic questions, they can be tricky and they put in answers to try and catch you out but I think it all comes with practice. The second section I found came the most naturally. They give you a scenario and you basically have to say what they're feeling or something. The only problems I had was the vocabulary they used. So, for example, they gave a scenario and asked is the person feeling a) aggrieved b)apprehensive c)distressed and either I didn't know what the words fully meant, or I thought all 3 would fit, but again I think it comes with practice. As for the last section, this for me was the hardest. It's sort of like the decision analysis section of the UKCAT but some of the questions were a bit different; definitely practice this section. Lastly you need to bare in mind that it is a written paper. They give you the paper and an answer sheet to mark which letter you think the answer is (from multiple choice). Make sure you time it right because you have a little more time than the UKCAT but don't be fooled, this is where I was caught out. I ended up panicking and guessing 4 or 5 because I simply didn't have the time to read it. Also, you do each section in order and CANNOT go back to a previous section to spend more time on it (they are very strict about this).

In terms of entry requirements, one very important thing to bare in mind is that NONE of the universities in Ireland consider a personal statement. Any relevant experience or your emotional aptitude to medicine isn't required. So to put it simply, if you're a complete genius without a caring bone in your body, you would get in. So yes unfortunately, grades are pretty important but I'm sure you'll be alright. You need a minimum of 480 points from A2 and AS to be considered
You get 150 for an A at A2 and 130 for a B at A2 and you also get an extra 25 points for having maths at A2 no matter what grade you get (even if you get an E). It all explains it all on the CAO website and explains the points on UCC's website.

There are only 5 Irish Uni's that do undergrad med: TDC, UCD, UCC, RCSI and NUI Gallway. However, unlike UCAS, you get 10 choices to put in so if filled the rest of mine with biomed just for the hell of it.

Any more questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha that's brilliant! Thanks for the information. I went to the guided tour this Wednesday and the campus was beautiful honestly - so modern as well, but as you said yes there are loads of historical elements which doesn't really bother me because I would just walk by it and not even care to look at it (I am not a historical sort of guy).

I had a quick look at the sample questions for HPAT, yes the last section was hard, but like you said it will come with practice. I am also practicing the UKCAT and I would do one full practice test everyday - thankfully I improve my score every single day! So yes with practice HPAT should be okay too.

Would you know what sort of grades students go with in terms of GCSE and A-Levels, so that I can get an idea of the competition? I do fit into the entry requirement, hopefully if I get the predicted grades I want next week, but I heard RCSI prefer 4 A2's simply because it increases the points.

I was thinking of dropping Physics but as I think I might get predicted an A* in that I might as well continue it. Would you recommend me to do 4 subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths?
Haha that's brilliant! Thanks for the information. I went to the guided tour this Wednesday and the campus was beautiful honestly - so modern as well, but as you said yes there are loads of historical elements which doesn't really bother me because I would just walk by it and not even care to look at it (I am not a historical sort of guy).

I had a quick look at the sample questions for HPAT, yes the last section was hard, but like you said it will come with practice. I am also practicing the UKCAT and I would do one full practice test everyday - thankfully I improve my score every single day! So yes with practice HPAT should be okay too.

Would you know what sort of grades students go with in terms of GCSE and A-Levels, so that I can get an idea of the competition? I do fit into the entry requirement, hopefully if I get the predicted grades I want next week, but I heard RCSI prefer 4 A2's simply because it increases the points.

I was thinking of dropping Physics but as I think I might get predicted an A* in that I might as well continue it. Would you recommend me to do 4 subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths?

Glad you liked the campus, it really is lovely. I would definitely advise you to take Biology AND chemistry as it really furthers your chances. Aside from that, take whatever you find easiest is my greatest advice, you can definitely get in with only 3 A levels, but if you think you can manage 4 by all means try, it's just a question of whether you want to extra exams and lessons and things. Also bare in mind that maths give you the extra 25 points no matter what grade you get at A2. Definitely discuss it with your teachers, they know best. Something else to consider, that I very much underestimated, is that A2 is actually a pretty big jump. I was fairly relaxed at AS but I can tell you for a fact that once you hit like CHEM5 and C4 it really hits you that you're like woah this is actually very challenging. I'm sure the same goes for physics and bio. So as I say, if you (and your teachers) think you can handle it, go for it, but it's not a necessity.

I don't personally know anyone else who has applied, so I don't really know any stats or competition ratios but I don't think GCSE's are really that important, the greater focus is on A Levels, this document explains it (if you can understand it!) http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2016/UGMedEntry2016.pdf

Heres a page to explain the points
https://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=scoring&s=gce

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are a UK student then stay in the UK. It is easier to get back into the system and Ireland is about 10 years behind the UK generally.

Unless you plan to live in Ireland, then I wouldn't really bother.

I am an RCSI graduate.
Original post by DorianGrayism
If you are a UK student then stay in the UK. It is easier to get back into the system and Ireland is about 10 years behind the UK generally.

Unless you plan to live in Ireland, then I wouldn't really bother.

I am an RCSI graduate.

No I have no intention of staying in the UK. One good thing about RCSI is that they help students prepare for the USMLE exam which would be something of my interest, because I plan on doing the training in USA or Canada after graduation.
Glad you liked the campus, it really is lovely. I would definitely advise you to take Biology AND chemistry as it really furthers your chances. Aside from that, take whatever you find easiest is my greatest advice, you can definitely get in with only 3 A levels, but if you think you can manage 4 by all means try, it's just a question of whether you want to extra exams and lessons and things. Also bare in mind that maths give you the extra 25 points no matter what grade you get at A2. Definitely discuss it with your teachers, they know best. Something else to consider, that I very much underestimated, is that A2 is actually a pretty big jump. I was fairly relaxed at AS but I can tell you for a fact that once you hit like CHEM5 and C4 it really hits you that you're like woah this is actually very challenging. I'm sure the same goes for physics and bio. So as I say, if you (and your teachers) think you can handle it, go for it, but it's not a necessity.

I don't personally know anyone else who has applied, so I don't really know any stats or competition ratios but I don't think GCSE's are really that important, the greater focus is on A Levels, this document explains it (if you can understand it!) http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2016/UGMedEntry2016.pdf

Heres a page to explain the points
https://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=scoring&s=gce

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looking at the document, it seems that they don't even consider GCSEs - that's strange!

Yeah I will have a discussion with my teachers and see what they say about me doing four subjects at A2. A few of my friends who were with me last year and now going to university for medicine, all say that doing four A2s is tough...but I am sure if I keep on top of work I will be okay hopefully. I am sure my teachers will advise me well since my school is private and they do have track record of students going into medicine at UK Universities or overseas.

Btw, you were supposed to be hearing from RCSI on the 1st...any update, if you don't mind me asking?
No I have no intention of staying in the UK. One good thing about RCSI is that they help students prepare for the USMLE exam which would be something of my interest, because I plan on doing the training in USA or Canada after graduation.

I don't know who told you that. *The help they provide for the USMLE is mediocre at best.*
Original post by qazymodo
i was looking at the RCSI 2016 thread and people were talking about offers??! I though that Irish colleges don't care about gcse/predicteds etc and that all that matters is final grades and you get an offer in august? people were mentioning interviews but i didn't realize that was a thing.. maybe it's just for internationals? I'm from Cork but have been moving around europe since I was 6 and haven't lived in Ireland since so idk where that would leave me

Yh I think that is only for internationals. For EU you don't get interviews, it purely depends on your HPAT and your final grades. By the way, do you know what sort of academic points they are looking for? Also what sort of scores do average students obtain on the HPAT?
Original post by qazymodo
To get into med in ireland you need at least 720, 730 should be good, and 740+ youre deffo safe! score is composed of HPAT + leaving cert

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what happens if you get a low HPAT but high Academics? Or vice versa?
Does RCSI do matriculation? Or do they simply look at the final A-Level results and the HPAT?
Reply 13
anyone from usa or Canada got interview yet. how much is the fees for 6 years at
RCSi and how much is the living expenses. when I calculate it comes to about $90000 dollars for one year and times six it comes to about 600000. that makes it more than double of what you would spend in uk .that is a lot of
money. any thoughts
And what happens if you get a low HPAT but high Academics? Or vice versa?

From what I understand, so long as your overall score is above cutoff it doesn't matter about component parts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does RCSI ask for personal statements????? Someone said they had been asked for one a few years ago but when I spoke to them they said no, they just went by academic+hpat scores...

Also has anyone else gotten ucd Blackrock for hpat?
Original post by Science_Girl
Does RCSI ask for personal statements????? Someone said they had been asked for one a few years ago but when I spoke to them they said no, they just went by academic+hpat scores...

Also has anyone else gotten ucd Blackrock for hpat?

No RCSI don't ask for Personal Statements, you just need to send off your GCSE or AS certificates and of course your HPAT scores...how was your HPAT yesterday?
No RCSI don't ask for Personal Statements, you just need to send off your GCSE or AS certificates and of course your HPAT scores...how was your HPAT yesterday?

Thanks! I ended up not actually doing the HPAT as I got an offer from St Andrew's on Wednesday so we just went to Dublin for a weekend 😊 How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone had interview from RCSI? How's it going?
I had my interview quite a while ago! Does anyone have a timeline for the admission procedures? Like interviews, offers, rejections and matriculation?

Quick Reply