Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

this sounds so stupid but i hate the fact my boyfriend has an ex girlfriend. i am 18, my bf is 22. he was with his ex for 5 years and he broke up with her in 2014. she still texts him sometimes trying to start conversation, like asking him whats the best macbook to get etc. she has her own bf as well. he says he doesn't reply to her anymore. i just can't stop thinking about that he loved her and probably said things to her that he says to me, and i feel like insecure because they were together for so long and this is my first relationship. is it normal to feel this way and how do i stop? his best friend told me that my bf likes me more than he ever liked her. my bf told me she was so boring so thats why he broke up with her. i just feel **** every time i think about her, what do i do?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    You'll be another ex soon if you keep going like this!

Just relax and enjoy the relationship. The past is the past.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    this sounds so stupid but i hate the fact my boyfriend has an ex girlfriend. i am 18, my bf is 22. he was with his ex for 5 years and he broke up with her in 2014. she still texts him sometimes trying to start conversation, like asking him whats the best macbook to get etc. she has her own bf as well. he says he doesn't reply to her anymore. i just can't stop thinking about that he loved her and probably said things to her that he says to me, and i feel like insecure because they were together for so long and this is my first relationship. is it normal to feel this way and how do i stop? his best friend told me that my bf likes me more than he ever liked her. my bf told me she was so boring so thats why he broke up with her. i just feel **** every time i think about her, what do i do?
    also a few days ago when i was with him, she texted him saying 'don't worry then pal!". my bf deletes texts from people he doesn't talk to so i couldn't see the message before that, and he said that she texted him as i was in the bath as i was sleeping over his house and she asked for a lift and he ignored it. he ignored this message too. i understand some ex's still remain friends but i really don't like him having her text him because of their history.

(Original post by UWS)
    You'll be another ex soon if you keep going like this!

Just relax and enjoy the relationship. The past is the past.
    i understand. i don't tell him i feel this way but I'm just quite insecure i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    If it really bothers you that much, talk to him about it?

ReputationRep:
    It's normal to feel this way. You are feeling insecure about it because you are comparing yourself to another girl. Talk to him and see how he feels about it. There is a reason why she is now a ex, don't worry about it unless he still shows any signs of interest towards her.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Accept hes with you and trust him.
    You cant undo the relationship they had nor should you want to.
    Be aware if you are going to focus on this eventually it will start to corrode your relationship with him as its just a sign of insecurity and mistrust. Those are good reasons not to dwell on it.

(Original post by mrhedgehog)
    It's normal to feel this way. You are feeling insecure about it because you are comparing yourself to another girl. Talk to him and see how he feels about it. There is a reason why she is now a ex, don't worry about it unless he still shows any signs of interest towards her.
    i don't think he shows any signs of interest towards her, but then again what kind of signs do you mean? the thing is, not to be rude, the girl isn't that pretty and i don't feel like intimidated by her. i guess its by the long relationship they had and i just don't like the fact he loved someone else once

ReputationRep:
    i don't think he shows any signs of interest towards her, but then again what kind of signs do you mean? the thing is, not to be rude, the girl isn't that pretty and i don't feel like intimidated by her. i guess its by the long relationship they had and i just don't like the fact he loved someone else once
    Believe it or not the older you get the more likely you are to meet someone who has been in a long term relationship before, you just learn to not care about the past.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to block her. It doesn't seem like they have much of a friendship anyway and she seems to just talk to him for the sake of talking.

ReputationRep:
    you've just got to get over it... it's not easy but that's really all there is to do, you're 18 so you're unlikely to ever date anyone who has never had a relationship before again... yes he slept with her and told her he loves her but so what? he loves you now and that's all that matters to him...

ReputationRep:
    If you carry on the way you're acting currently you will lose him.
    The relationship ended for whatever reason, and he loves you.
    Maybe if the same happens with your current relationship, and in time you get another boyfriend, you will see how difficult it is to regain love and trust after committing to someone 100%
    Take comfort in the fact that he fell for you completely, even with all of his probable thoughts about crappy relationships

Google retroactive jealousy, most people replying here won't understand and just say get over it, he's with you now etc. It's irrational, you know it's irrational, but its still there and words on here won't help much. A lot of people get it over a partner's sexual past. I know because I've had it, and so have many others. Sometimes time will help, sometimes it doesn't.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.