Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm sorry if this thread is gross and tmi but I'm a bit worried and wanted advice.

I started my period when I was 14 and now I'm 17. My period has always been up and down, sometimes it would be one week early other times it can be one week late. They always last up to 7 days and I feel like I'm always bleeding too much. I'm currently on my period and it's quite bad this month- my cramps are painful to the point that it has given me headaches (usually it's only very mild cramps and back aches). I also feel like I constantly need to change my pad every 2-3 hours. Should I be worried?

ReputationRep:
    No it's pretty normal. Other people have more severe periods and some people may not even feel it at all. 7 days is normal.

Just take some ibuprofen, paracetamol, and use a heat pad or a hot water bottle for your cramps.

ReputationRep:
    It's normal don't worry

I guess periods can fluctuate but 7 days seems longer than average (isn't it usually 2-5 days?)

Maybe you can go to your doctors and ask to go on the pill? Usually this reduces the bleeding and can also reduce cramps.

ReputationRep:
    Its quite normal tbh. My period are never regular...sometimes i get them too early sometimes too late, but i guess it takes more time for them to become regular, i think & and 7 days is... A bit long but i guess every woman is different, i get them for 6 days lol...

Ikr, cramps is the real problem. Maybe take some painkiller, or go to the doctor, they might give u pills....and dont drink/eat cold stuff coz that worsens it, well for me it does!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I think I read the average is 2 - 8 days?

If your headaches are bothering you, you may get the pill. I'm on it because my periods give me migraine.

ReputationRep:
    If it's beyond what you can comfortably manage see your dr. They can prescribe drugs that can reduce cramping and the amount you bleed. Mefanamic acid (for pain and headaches) and tranexamic acid (to reduce flow) are two common examples.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sadly what you're describing is very common. Talk to your GP about pain relief if it's bothering you, or possibly look at contraceptive options which might lessen the severity of your periods; my friend had really bad pain during periods so she went on the pill and she still got periods but they were much more regular and much less painful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm sorry if this thread is gross and tmi but I'm a bit worried and wanted advice.

I started my period when I was 14 and now I'm 17. My period has always been up and down, sometimes it would be one week early other times it can be one week late. They always last up to 7 days and I feel like I'm always bleeding too much. I'm currently on my period and it's quite bad this month- my cramps are painful to the point that it has given me headaches (usually it's only very mild cramps and back aches). I also feel like I constantly need to change my pad every 2-3 hours. Should I be worried?
    Have you tried taking some painkillers and have they been any help? Ibuprofen is good for reducing blood flow. I would go see the GP if I were you, about the irregularness (which could be nothing, but better check!) and to see if they can do something about the heavy flow.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.