Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is queston sent for review if correct answer but wrong working? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I sat the Edexcel Maths GCSE Papers in May and June. For one question, I did not know how to do the question and guessed and answer of 19. I put some random working on the paper in the hope of picking up marks. It turns out that my answer was right (judging from my friends)! However, one of my friends said that I would not get any marks for this question because I got the right answer from the wrong working. He said to check the Edexcel mark schemes as proof. The mark scheme said that 0 marks should be awarded and the response "should be sent to review". Why should the response be sent to review? I am really worrying, so can someone tell me what happens!?!?

ReputationRep:
    The assumption is that if you got the right answer with no working out or incorrect working out, you are either very lucky or somehow got hold of the answers before the test. Don't worry about it. If you put working out for the rest of the questions they won't care (though it is true that you may not get the marks or the question - depends on the year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    The assumption is that if you got the right answer with no working out or incorrect working out, you are either very lucky or somehow got hold of the answers before the test. Don't worry about it. If you put working out for the rest of the questions they won't care (though it is true that you may not get the marks or the question - depends on the year)
    Thank you so much!! Im much more relaxed now!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp00)
    I sat the Edexcel Maths GCSE Papers in May and June. For one question, I did not know how to do the question and guessed and answer of 19. I put some random working on the paper in the hope of picking up marks. It turns out that my answer was right (judging from my friends)! However, one of my friends said that I would not get any marks for this question because I got the right answer from the wrong working. He said to check the Edexcel mark schemes as proof. The mark scheme said that 0 marks should be awarded and the response "should be sent to review". Why should the response be sent to review? I am really worrying, so can someone tell me what happens!?!?
    How do you know your working out was wrong? If it's just some obvious scribbles, then you should get full marks. Honestly, I'm not sure about Edexcel specifically, but OCR and AQA all give full marks to any question with the correct answer, even if there's no working out. But they do penalise if the working out is wrong. In retrospect, perhaps you should've just written 19 without any working out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How can you do the wrong working but get the correct answer? Was it purely a fluke that your working lead you to the correct answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp00)
    To be honest, an examiner is going to be marking hundreds, if not thousands, of the same question and I doubt they're going to read your working. I think they'll see a correct answer on the line and award the marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielwinstanley)
    To be honest, an examiner is going to be marking hundreds, if not thousands, of the same question and I doubt they're going to read your working. I think they'll see a correct answer on the line and award the marks.
    literally we just had to work out a certain point on a histogram! I looked at the histogram and had no clue how to work it out! So I just looked roughly at where the point was and it was 19. I am always unlucky so this was a complete fluke... i knew that if i got it right, i would only get 1 mark, because i had the answer but no working. So i just wrote 11+8=19 which was my final answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp00)
    literally we just had to work out a certain point on a histogram! I looked at the histogram and had no clue how to work it out! So I just looked roughly at where the point was and it was 19. I am always unlucky so this was a complete fluke... i knew that if i got it right, i would only get 1 mark, because i had the answer but no working. So i just wrote 11+8=19 which was my final answer.
    If I'm honest, if it's the question I'm thinking of, you would've have to draw a line on a histogram. You'll get at a minimum the A1 mark , if not all the marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielwinstanley)
    If I'm honest, if it's the question I'm thinking of, you would've have to draw a line on a histogram. You'll get at a minimum the A1 mark , if not all the marks.
    lets hope so! Thanks for all your help!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.