Turn on thread page Beta

Hi all, this is abit embarassing so i post anon. Something is really getting me down at the moment and its that i'm 17 and never had a girlfriend. I rarely talk to girls at all (because im so shy) and well im a bit of a loner which is down to having very low self esteem. I'm not sure about my looks, sometimes i feel like a 9/10 other days i just want to hideaway, some girls have shown interest but i dismiss it as them being players n loving the attention of guys. I'm tall but thin I just want to know how does one go about getting themselves a reasonably attractive girlfriend? (thats to the guys) and to the girls what do you look for in a guy and how did u get with them?

ReputationRep:
    Go out, put a bag over a girls head, drag her off to your cellar. Keep her there until she develops Stockholm Syndrome, and voila! You have a girlfriend.

Luckily, lessthanthree is being sensible about this, so I can indulge in silliness.:rolleyes:

Also, as the venerable LTT said, dont dismiss the girls! I have done that more times than I care to count, and always feel like such a pillock afterwards! Sort of akin to someone giving you a bar of gold and you saying no.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking chloroform...

ReputationRep:
    Rohypnol also works well...

Or so I'm told :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    But if that fails, don't be so afraid of rejection (you don't even have to talk to them if they do reject you and move on, if thats how it works for you).

Girls can smell confidence from a mile off (almost?) so try teasing, humour etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoRnMaNiaC)
    Hi all, this is abit embarassing so i post anon. Something is really getting me down at the moment and its that i'm 17 and never had a girlfriend. I rarely talk to girls at all (because im so shy) and well im a bit of a loner which is down to having very low self esteem. I'm not sure about my looks, sometimes i feel like a 9/10 other days i just want to hideaway, some girls have shown interest but i dismiss it as them being players n loving the attention of guys. I'm tall but thin I just want to know how does one go about getting themselves a reasonably attractive girlfriend? (thats to the guys) and to the girls what do you look for in a guy and how did u get with them?
    Dont worry about the whole "17 and never had a girlfriend" thing..its not at all uncommon! You just haven't found someone who's right for you yet, and believe me, there's no rush

I was in pretty much the same sitauation as you..I was 17 and had never had a boyfriend, despite the fact that boys had shown an interest. I suppose i just didnt want to go out with someone who i didn't actually have strong feelings for.

Relationships always seem to happen when you least expect them to. They just sort of..turn up, and constantly being on the lookout never seems to work. Just try to relax and get to know some girls as friends first, without the 'making her your girlfriend' thing being your main incentive.

For me, the main thing I look for is just someone who i get along with well, and who I feel completely comfortable and relaxed with. It's personality over looks for me anyday, and I think you'll find this is the case for the majority of girls. My boyfriend of 8months was and is one of my best friends...we'd always gotten along really well, and it just sort of happened from there really..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duckiciao)

Does this drink taste funny or is it just me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattRD)
    Does this drink taste funny or is it just me?
    Its just you... now drink up quickly!

@Kornmaniac. Just chill out about the whole GF thing. You'll get so pissed off with looking that you'll stop. Then, in a few weeks, you'll find yourself with a girlfriend. Simple innit?

ReputationRep:
    You'll get one when youre least expected. Trust me. Just be yourself and someone will fall into your arms. Dont get too stressed out about it.

ReputationRep:
    To get random 'hot' girls,you need confidence and a good talking game.
    But to get a girlfriend you just need to be yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tesh^^)
    But to get a girlfriend you just need to be yourself.
    What the hell does that even mean? Maybe being yourself will work eventually, but clearly for some people if they want results any time soon being themselves just won't cut it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duckiciao)

Propofol for me...
    Although...t'is a bit of a ***** trying to get a BJ with a tube down her throat...

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps looking for a girlfriend is better than 'results'?

I'm in the same boat and to be honest I don't mind. I know that if someone comes along that likes me and I like them then I should be able to talk to them just grand . What's the point in rushing these things? Good things come to those who wait :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeepMeep09)

I'm in the same boat and to be honest I don't mind. I know that if someone comes along that likes me and I like them then I should be able to talk to them just grand . What's the point in rushing these things? Good things come to those who wait :rolleyes:
    Or think of it another way..

Good things come to those who wait behind bushes with tranquiliser darts.

ReputationRep:
    He forgot to post as anonymous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattRD)
    Or think of it another way..

Good things come to those who wait behind bushes with tranquiliser darts.
    :rofl:

Possibly worth a try. Can you recommend a good supplier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeepMeep09)
    By 'results' I wasn't referring to just sex:p:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I never look for a girlfriend, that's how it works for me.

ReputationRep:
    I looked at the title of the thread, and it told me everything. Haha.
    The answer is to stop looking, treat the girls like anyone. i.e: not special but not like crap. (Somewhere in the middle ground)
    Make fun of them, dont take things too seriously.

:top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    What the hell does that even mean? Maybe being yourself will work eventually, but clearly for some people if they want results any time soon being themselves just won't cut it.
    Exactly. "Be yourself"? What sort of advice is this, to someone who never gets a girlfriend? Clearly, in some cases, something needs to change. Then again, at 17, there may not be too big of a problem; 17 really isn't that old, not to have had a girlfriend.

I always find laughable, also, this whole 'it will happen when you least expect it/aren't looking for it' rubbish. Can anyone explain the logic? So, looking for a partner makes you less likely to find one? I hardly think so, somehow. I can understand not coming across as totally desperate, but that's not the same as making an effort, in this area.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.