Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone here work full time? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all.
    Ive started an apprenticeship on Monday and so far ive felt like ive barely been at home. When i get home i feel like im awake for 10 mins and then im at work again. I spend 5 hours awake once ive finished for the day.
    So does anyone else work full time and expereince this?
    Does it become better over time?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    So what hours do you work ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    So what hours do you work ?
    Mon-Fri: 8:15am - 5pm
    I usually arrive at 8am and leave around 5-5:15pm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Hey all.
    Ive started an apprenticeship on Monday and so far ive felt like ive barely been at home. When i get home i feel like im awake for 10 mins and then im at work again. I spend 5 hours awake once ive finished for the day.
    So does anyone else work full time and expereince this?
    Does it become better over time?
    Thanks
    Welcome to the working world I was like this with my first job, you'll get used to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamo2509)
    Welcome to the working world I was like this with my first job, you'll get used to it
    Thanks!
    I like the job so far so its not too bad. Just wish i could appreciate the time at home!
    I hope so! How long did it take you to adapt?

ReputationRep:
    Mon-Fri: 8:15am - 5pm
    I usually arrive at 8am and leave around 5-5:15pm
    Oh god that's bad :/ my part time job is only one day a week but I get tonnes of overtime and have just increased my hours from 4 to 9 so I'm working 11-8 each Saturday now .... It'll be awful but I really need the cash TBH

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    I like the job so far so its not too bad. Just wish i could appreciate the time at home!
    I hope so! How long did it take you to adapt?
    Hmm.. maybe 2-3 weeks? When I first started I felt like I was continuously at work.

ReputationRep:
    Being an adult sucks, but you get used to it.

However, one thing I've always noted is the trade-off between money and time.

Part-time work:
    - More free time.
    - Less money to spend during your free time.

Full-time work:
    - Less free time.
    - More money to spend during your free time.

Speaking from second-hand experience, it sucks working part-time because although the free-time you get is great, your financial situation limits what you can do during it. And speaking from first-hand experience, having more money is great but I'd be a lot happier if I had more time with which to do stuff that required spending money.

It's a double-edged sword no matter which way you look at it, and I realise this has little to no impact on your actual question but I felt like digressing.

But to reiterate: you do get used to it. It doesn't become better. It never gets better. You merely... adjust.

ReputationRep:
    I work 7 or 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and even then I'm drained
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It is rather draining to be honest, I'm 5 weeks in on a 9 to 5. I think it's a must must must to get the right amount of sleep you need (varies slightly from person to person, but look around 8 or 9 hours.. you probably know best for that one). and to have regular sleeping patterns on the weekend too, even if you want a lie in. Like say, waking up at 7:30 Mon-Fri and then having a lie-in until 11 on the Saturday because you're knackered (which is fair enough) is probably risky, I'd get up at like 9 or half 9 or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Oh god that's bad :/ my part time job is only one day a week but I get tonnes of overtime and have just increased my hours from 4 to 9 so I'm working 11-8 each Saturday now .... It'll be awful but I really need the cash TBH
    Its not that bad. The job is really enjoyable and the people are great too!
    Well 1 day a week is alright! You do 9 hours a week? Thats nothing!
    Well 9 hours so its the same as me! And im doing it 5 days a week!

(Original post by Hamo2509)
    Hmm.. maybe 2-3 weeks? When I first started I felt like I was continuously at work.
    Ah well thad not too bad then! Plus i go on holiday for a week in October so that will be nice!
    Yeah thats how i feel now!
    What do you do for your job?

ReputationRep:
    I can't even work without a dose of caffeine. I do 12-8 shifts but soon going back to 6 am - 2 pm/ 2 pm - 10 pm shifts.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.