Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I know there are a lot of knowledgeable here so I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out here.

I'll keep it short. I have the opportunity to study at either University or Leeds or Coventry University.

Which one would give me a higher chance of landing an internship at an IB? I know both are non-targets but I hear Leeds still has some pretty decent amount of FO alumni in the City.

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Leviathas)
    Hey guys, I know there are a lot of knowledgeable here so I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out here.

I'll keep it short. I have the opportunity to study at either University or Leeds or Coventry University.

Which one would give me a higher chance of landing an internship at an IB? I know both are non-targets but I hear Leeds still has some pretty decent amount of FO alumni in the City.

Thanks
    This is a no brainer....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    This is a no brainer....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know it sounds silly bro but I'm really frightened that unless I graduate from a target (and maybe the top semi-targets) I won't really break in IBD.

Is it worth the hassle? Would transferring to Leeds from Coventry give me a higher chance?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I know it sounds silly bro but I'm really frightened that unless I graduate from a target (and maybe the top semi-targets) I won't really break in IBD.

Is it worth the hassle? Would transferring to Leeds from Coventry give me a higher chance?
    Yes, yes it would

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    LSE hands down. Pick LSE over either of the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDmcDeeezeNuts)
    LSE hands down. Pick LSE over either of the two.
    I can only choose between Leeds, Coventry and Westminster

ReputationRep:
    I can only choose between Leeds, Coventry and Westminster
    Why didn't you mention Westminster in the first place so that we'd have the full picture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KTS89)
    Why didn't you mention Westminster in the first place so that we'd have the full picture?
    Because it's easily one of the few worst universities in the UK and it's at the bottom of every ranking

ReputationRep:
    leeds > westminster > coventry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    leeds > westminster > coventry
    Thank you

Is that ranking based on overall quality of the university or my chances of getting an internship from said uni?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you

Is that ranking based on overall quality of the university or my chances of getting an internship from said uni?
    Both, I really don't see the comparison between Leeds and Coventry here. If you have the opportunity to move to Leeds (I'm assuming you do, or is this speculative?), then take it with both hands.

One of my good buds goes to Leeds, he's off to JPMorgan in Markets next year. The people involved in the finance/trading soc are all heading to great places and the alumni network in the city seems very receptive to networking. It well and truly is, a no brainer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Both, I really don't see the comparison between Leeds and Coventry here. If you have the opportunity to move to Leeds (I'm assuming you do, or is this speculative?), then take it with both hands.

One of my good buds goes to Leeds, he's off to JPMorgan in Markets next year. The people involved in the finance/trading soc are all heading to great places and the alumni network in the city seems very receptive to networking. It well and truly is, a no brainer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I firmed the offer for their Applied Computer Science course (starting at year 2) but I still have time to change my mind if I want.

Very comforting to hear that, I also spoke with some of the guys at the trading society there and literally everyone I spoke to has a FO offer when they graduate. 3 guys are at Citi, 2 at Rotschild and a girl in HSBC.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I firmed the offer for their Applied Computer Science course (starting at year 2) but I still have time to change my mind if I want.

Very comforting to hear that, I also spoke with some of the guys at the trading society there and literally everyone I spoke to has a FO offer when they graduate. 3 guys are at Citi, 2 at Rotschild and a girl in HSBC.
    Course means squat for FO, even then applied comp sci is a solid one at that.

Indeed, they've all smashed it. Hold on to your offer there dude, the bump up in reputation and access is well worth it. Best of luck with the future

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.