Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. Anyone else here one of the unlucky 5% of thoes who didnt get accommodation at the RVC. Im currently feeling quite gutted. Anyone else in the same situation..

Claire x

ReputationRep:
    Oh no! When did you find out?

ReputationRep:
    Today... I know it sounds stupid but im really scared about moving into a flat with people I dont know at all, im also worried that not living in halls for my first year will hamper me with making friends as i will be a way away from everyone. Ahhh help... any advice...

ReputationRep:
    yep, im another one of the unlucky 5%...i am well disappointed but i also knew that there was a big chance i would get it since i live in harrow, meaning im only 20mins away on the train...but i really dont want to live at home, esp for freshers week!!

ReputationRep:
    yeah I know.. tell me about it. I live in West Sussex, about an hours comute, it would be way to costly for me to commute so I cant even do that. Im stuck in the middle... what do you plan to do? Student housing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy.x)
    intercollegiate halls? you would possibly enjoy them more as you would have more non vet friends as a balance. you would still make friends at RVC. of the three people im living with next year only one was in my halls and as she was SC and im catered i basically got to know all of them through vet freshers week and stuff.

also just keep ringing them especially on results day to see if anyone dops out etc.
    I put them on my options list as well, I didnt get a place their either. Sucks. but yeah, I guess I will still get to meet new people. Its just a bit daunting..

ReputationRep:
    hi im also one of the unluky 5%, i didnt get into rvc halls or intercollegiate, i was wondering that instead of moving into a house with students from different years and uni's isnt there a way of 1styr rvc students who didnt get accommodation to get accommodation together?

ReputationRep:
    there is a company called unite that do student accommodation in seven sisters i think...ok so it's still a commute but it's underground rather than the hour-long commute you are facing at the moment

- also don't expect the RVC to lift a finger to help you- been there-done that- ended up living with some friends at imperial to get round my 2-hour commute!

I don't understand why RVC think it is acceptable to offer places without accommodation and then expect ppl to commute...and then wonder why they struggle with the course! :mad:

Sorry...ranting...i just don't understand the logic!:confused: :confused:

The other place you can try is the University of London's (this is NOT RVC) accommodation ppl- they sort out the accommodation for uni's like Imperial/UCL etc....ok so again it'll be a commute...but less than an hour and you won't miss out on the social side of things...

-best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I last year was in this exact postion, no halls, commuting inpractical and not knowing a single person on the course, so here goes with my twopenneth as to how to get round this.

You can as said above keep calling RVC as some places do become available but it is often at very short notice and will not offer enough places for everyone.

You can live at home but be prepared to either come home very late on the night bus, pay for a taxi or just not stay out late, especially during freshers week. During the term it isn't too bad (from friends who are commuting) but you will get home a lot later than everyone else and have to get up early for the 9:15 lectures. It can be done and is cheaper but for some people living at home is not what they want out of university.

You could live up at hawkshead for the first two years but it isn't advisible in terms of the social side though you would already have somewhere to live in the last three years.

The other option is to get private housing with people you haven't met. RVC create a list of people who haven't got halls (phone RVC and they will add you to this after results day), and using this and TSR there will be a reasonable sized group of people. The way we did it last year was for us to arrange to meet up mid august having already pre-booked some viewings with landlords/estate agents. I would advise finding their details online and then phoning them as generally anything on the website will have already gone. Last year we then looked round them, split into groups (ours ended up going boys seperate to girls but it isn't always that way) and went our seperate ways. The areas to look in aren't just camden, i live in holloway, some live closer to euston, some in bloomsbury, finsbury park, archway, kentish town. Private rents have a tendency to be more expensive than halls as bills are often not included so it is important that you check what is included in the rent, with regards to bills, furniture etc. However, the further away from camden you live the cheaper, or nicer for the same price, the housing becomes; so it may be a good plan to bring your bicycle (this is what we do and it changes our 30 min walk to a 10 min cycle). The difficulty that we have found living in private housing is that it does make it more difficult to make friends as people tend to initially make friends with the people in their flat in halls and the flats around them; but join clubs and be nice and you will get to know people. There are some advantages to living away from halls; it means you can get away from most of the year, it is quieter so easier to sleep/study, often you have more communal space which means you're not all cramped into a kitchen and it makes it easier for people to come over. Also, there are no rules about who/when people can stay in your rooms, you cna have your bf/gf over everyday if you like. I personally am very glad that i didn't get halls as my house is gorgeous, and its much less *****y only living with a few vet students than most of the year (as you would be in mary b).

I hope i have covered everything (sorry the post has ended up soo long) but if you would like any help then i am very willing, just pm me. I may be able to check if any of the accelerated course from this year (who are at hawkshead next year) are moving out but i don't know yet.

Good luck everyone, and i will see you in september, if not before.

Harriet

x

edited when i thought of more things to say

ReputationRep:
    you could get your head of your school to ring up and say you would really like accomodation, missing out on the student experience etc. etc. my friend did that for RVC and they then offered her some accomodation. might be worth a shot - an hours commute each day is a bit ridiculous.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 15, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.