Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have lots of things about my mental health that isn't right but one of the main things that affect my life a lot is my 'selfishness'. Im not sure if this is selfish but ill give you two examples.
    1) It really annoys me how people get cars bought for them but I have to pay for it all myself, I'm not saying I should have one bought but it annoys me how they have it handed on a plate whilst I am working 3/4 days a week with a levels to get by.

2) It annoys me how I am on £5 an hour doing a hard job and someone I know got a £8.50 an hour job at a sport centre which is a relatively easier job. Like it just annoys me.

Im not a bad person and I want the best for everyone but it just seems I cant cope without attention of people saying well done you, or people saying like thats unfair you only get paid that much. Its a mixture of jealousy and selfishness which I hate.

Any help?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have lots of things about my mental health that isn't right but one of the main things that affect my life a lot is my 'selfishness'. Im not sure if this is selfish but ill give you two examples.
    1) It really annoys me how people get cars bought for them but I have to pay for it all myself, I'm not saying I should have one bought but it annoys me how they have it handed on a plate whilst I am working 3/4 days a week with a levels to get by.

2) It annoys me how I am on £5 an hour doing a hard job and someone I know got a £8.50 an hour job at a sport centre which is a relatively easier job. Like it just annoys me.

Im not a bad person and I want the best for everyone but it just seems I cant cope without attention of people saying well done you, or people saying like thats unfair you only get paid that much. Its a mixture of jealousy and selfishness which I hate.

Any help?
    I can understand this, but also why you'd want to stop. Have you ever had any sort of therapy? It seems to me like this could help a lot, although also can understand why it's not something you'd want to go to your GP about. My only thoughts are either try writing things down (as a diary or on phone or wherever) as it might help rationalise them a bit, and also Moodgym which is an online CBT course- this can never replace doing it with a real person but it's something you can work through on your own which might suit you better! Hope you manage to get to the bottom of it, this sort of stuff is really difficult

ReputationRep:
    you dont need therapy or counselling or whatever at all wtf, envy is natural, anyone would feel the way you do in your circumstances, you realise as you get older that different people have different situations and all you can do is focus on yours and try and improve it, you may have to work harder than others, thats the nature of life

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.