Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I was pretty much set on taking English Lit, French and History, as these are the subjects I think I am best at, and I wanted to study Law at university. However, I've been rather put off the idea of taking law at uni, and am strongly considering a degree in business or business management instead. For this, I gather it is recommended to have taken maths at a level - or at least, to get into a Russell Group uni, which is what I hope to do?

So now I am very stuck and confused about the following things:

1) Should I take maths at all? I am fairly good at maths, and am almost definitely going to get an A at GCSE (maybe an A* at a push but I don't think I put in enough effort for the whole year as I wasn't previously intended on pursuing maths any further)
    2) Should I replace history or french? I think I would most probably prefer to take french over history, but I know history and english go well together and I have always enjoyed learning about it. I think I will get A*s in both subjects at GCSE - hopefully!

Any advice would be very appreciated please!! Thank you very much

EDIT: I could potentially consider taking all 4, but I think that it'd be a slightly too heavy work load? I've always been quite an able student but I know the step up from GCSE to A level is rather a lot and I don't want to take on too much and get lower grades as a result! My school no longer allow us to take 4 subjects at AS and then drop one for the final year, which is why I'm struggling so much to decide!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamieeloise_x)
    So I was pretty much set on taking English Lit, French and History, as these are the subjects I think I am best at, and I wanted to study Law at university. However, I've been rather put off the idea of taking law at uni, and am strongly considering a degree in business or business management instead. For this, I gather it is recommended to have taken maths at a level - or at least, to get into a Russell Group uni, which is what I hope to do?

So now I am very stuck and confused about the following things:

1) Should I take maths at all? I am fairly good at maths, and am almost definitely going to get an A at GCSE (maybe an A* at a push but I don't think I put in enough effort for the whole year as I wasn't previously intended on pursuing maths any further)
    2) Should I replace history or french? I think I would most probably prefer to take french over history, but I know history and english go well together and I have always enjoyed learning about it. I think I will get A*s in both subjects at GCSE - hopefully!

Any advice would be very appreciated please!! Thank you very much

EDIT: I could potentially consider taking all 4, but I think that it'd be a slightly too heavy work load? I've always been quite an able student but I know the step up from GCSE to A level is rather a lot and I don't want to take on too much and get lower grades as a result! My school no longer allow us to take 4 subjects at AS and then drop one for the final year, which is why I'm struggling so much to decide!
    You don't have to take maths if you don't want to because not all Business courses at universities require maths A level. But i thinks maths A level will help you in the future if you will go on to bussiness. Also, you can take maths if you want because Law degree don't requires a specific subjects (so you still can go into Law). For me i think you should do the subjects that you good at and enjoy most.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.