Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Will anyone be getting an iPhone when they are released in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    no. I don't have that much money to burn, and i can think of far better things to spend my money on.

i would like one, but i don't realistically see myself as a student parting with the stupid amounts of money they cost. and for their features. it also depends on which network wins the bidding for the UK market and what deals will be offered.

for now i'll stick to my smartphone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel_williams)
    i would like one, but i don't realistically see myself as a student parting with the stupid amounts of money they cost. and for their features. it also depends on which network wins the bidding for the UK market and what deals will be offered.

for now i'll stick to my smartphone.
    Apparently O2 did.

ReputationRep:
    nope - i cannot see myself getting on with a touchscreen - it will be to slow for my needs...

They hsould have added in an integrated GPS reciever - a msised opportunity - midn you TomTom and the like prob dont run on MacOS or whatver it is.

Any PDA I buy next will have integrated GPS so I can use it as a sat nav.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    nope - i cannot see myself getting on with a touchscreen - it will be to slow for my needs...

They hsould have added in an integrated GPS reciever - a msised opportunity - midn you TomTom and the like prob dont run on MacOS or whatver it is.

Any PDA I buy next will have integrated GPS so I can use it as a sat nav.
    I just use maps.google application on my phone and that seems to get me around if I ever need it.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, the iPhone interface is extremely responsive compared to most smartphones...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snu)
    Uh, the iPhone interface is extremely responsive compared to most smartphones...
    It will wont be anywhere near as fast as a normal phone for texting and dialling IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, two threads about the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    If you are a Big Bro fan you can find a few threads on the same thing when somehtign major happens.. with the racism thing there was one in general discussion, one in have your say, one in debate and discussion, one in the main Bb thread and possibly another one in the main entertainment forum!

ReputationRep:
    It will wont be anywhere near as fast as a normal phone for texting and dialling IMO.
    Your opinion, which is based on speculation? Good job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snu)
    Your opinion, which is based on speculation? Good job!
    Oh STFU

I have used many toucscreen fones, even if the iPhone is 5x faster it still wont beat a normal phone for speed for texting and calling via hand use.

So I take it you have used the iPhone and can confirm it is as useable in speed as a nokia 6230? If so then I'll apologise. If not I think someone else is speculating a little more than I am.

ReputationRep:
    I'm home in the States and tried out the iPhone in the Apple Store. I MUST HAVE ONE. It's amazing. It's AMAZING. Wow I can't say enough great things about the iPhone.

ReputationRep:
    I will be sticking to a windows based PPC phone.

HTC are releasing one with 3G and GPS very soon, it also has an inbuilt keyboard. I use an MDA vario and love it to pieces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hixxy)
    I will be sticking to a windows based PPC phone.

HTC are releasing one with 3G and GPS very soon, it also has an inbuilt keyboard. I use an MDA vario and love it to pieces.
    Kaiser :rolleyes:

I'm going to America in the summer so I'll take a look at it, I wonder how much it will be unconnected, the iPhone I mean.

They are too expensive and I already have an ipod plus I always drop my phone so I need strong one:p:

ReputationRep:
    they're too expensive for the avg teen - as i said that will probably kill off a large part of the target market.

but see my post on Apple Stores in the tech forum..I am sure the shops will be full up of teens trying them out with no means of buying them, lol

ReputationRep:
    they're too expensive for the avg teen - as i said that will probably kill off a large part of the target market.
    People said the same thing about the iPod when it came out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snu)
    People said the same thing about the iPod when it came out.
    Its made worse by the fact that it will be on contract only...

Eitherway I image it will be free on £30-45 a month contracts so you will still pay near on £300+ for it for the first year.

They should sell it SIM free for way more expensive than an equivalent iPod but offer it as a iPod/Phone (obviously) so those looking to spend £200 on an iPod might stretch to £300 if they got a phone.

Going into a contract is a considered decision for many - even if it does cost the same in the long run (and you get free calls)

ReputationRep:
    Its made worse by the fact that it will be on contract only...
    Well, perhaps, perhaps not. No announcements have been made regarding the specifics of availability in this UK.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 4, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.