The Student Room Group

Car owners

So a question to car owners...how much does it cost you to run your car? I.E insurance (with your age, and length of driving , if you don't mind), tax, fuel, repairs etc. Plus how often do you use it as well? oh and what car.

I'm only asking as i'm looking to buy a my first car ( Mini One). Now my partner on the other hand is reluctant as due to his beliefs of it being a very 'risky' thing and so on...Plus he believes on average it would cost me around £500 a month to be running the car. Which i'd disagreed to, as insurance itself is £1.7k per annum...and things like fuel, and tax won't cost as much - so idk how he got to that figure. Obviously this is baring in mind the car doesn't need repairs.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I got a 2 litre Ford Focus as a first car (I'm 17). I pay £200 a month insurance, £25 a month tax and about £50 a month in fuel. I average about 25-30mpg.

I call it £350.00 a month and put the money away in case I do run into any trouble and do need to repair it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dann.It
So a question to car owners...how much does it cost you to run your car? I.E insurance, tax, fuel, repairs etc. Plus how often do you use it as well? oh and what car.

I'm only asking as i'm looking to buy a my first car ( Mini One). Now my partner on the other hand is reluctant as due to his beliefs of it being a very 'risky' thing and so on...Plus he believes on average it would cost me around £500 a month to be running the car. Which i'd disagreed to, as insurance itself is £1.7k per annum...and things like fuel, and tax won't cost as much - so idk how he got to that figure. Obviously this is baring in mind the car doesn't need repairs.

He's not the one calling it 'risky'. It's the insurance company. They will charge for a return ticket to the moon to insure that thing as a first car. You should consider getting something smaller. (I know this sounds sucky, but trust me, people don't buy crappy cars as first cars for nothing. And when you damage it, you don't care! :biggrin:)

Original post by Tyler12mate
I got a 2 litre Ford Focus as a first car (I'm 17). I pay £200 a month insurance, £25 a month tax and about £50 a month in fuel. I average about 25-30mpg.

I call it £350.00 a month and put the money away in case I do run into any trouble and do need to repair it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch. That's a lot of cash. Why'd you get a car with such a 'big' engine as a first car?

I have a 3.6 V6 so my running costs are high but I use the car for long journeys. My insurance is around £100 p/m as well as tax which is £20 p/m. Fuel is pretty good, can't give exact numbers since I don't use it consistently.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dann.It
So a question to car owners...how much does it cost you to run your car? I.E insurance, tax, fuel, repairs etc. Plus how often do you use it as well? oh and what car.

I had a 1.4 litre Vauxhall Astra as my first car. It cost me £1600 a year in insurance, about £170 for road tax and £40 per month for petrol. Insurance is about £400, tax is only £17 and £20 of fuel fills the tank for over 100 miles.

I got rid of my car because I only really needed it to travel to and from work which is about five miles away. I sold it, passed my CBT, and got a bike instead.
Reply 4
Original post by jake4198
I had a 1.4 litre Vauxhall Astra as my first car. It cost me £1600 a year in insurance, about £170 for road tax and £40 per month for petrol. Insurance is about £400, tax is only £17 and £20 of fuel fills the tank for over 100 miles.

I got rid of my car because I only really needed it to travel to and from work which is about five miles away. I sold it, passed my CBT, and got a bike instead.

£1600 a year for insurance...but £400 a month? how does that work out.? :colonhash:
Original post by Dann.It
£1600 a year for insurance...but £400 a month? how does that work out.? :colonhash:

Sorry that's an edit I made. The £400 per year for insurance is for my bike.
Reply 6
Original post by jake4198
Sorry that's an edit I made. The £400 per year for insurance is for my bike.

that is amazing. i would do the same if i liked bikes lmao.
Original post by Crystalyne
He's not
Ouch. That's a lot of cash. Why'd you get a car with such a 'big' engine as a first car?

The car popped up from a good friend. It was a very tidy car for its age apart from the odd scratch. It had 11 months mot and nothing wrong with it and he only wanted £250. The offer was far too god to refuse.

The insurance quotes were all pretty similar to smaller engine cars and as I got the car so cheap, some of the money went towards insurance.

I was previously riding a motorcycle to get to college and work however as my mum is disabled and has regular hospital appointments, a car is now far more practical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1 Litre Nissan Micra, the car has seen me well and takes me to uni and back as well as also powering on to Norwich from Birmingham (163 miles!) when I visit my GF in term time.

About £20 petrol a week (£80 a month) with £62.50 a months for insurance. It's like £100+ for a years road tax, unsure.

Overall it's a cheapo reliable car which runs on air since it's so light and it's only me in the car most of the time. I'm keeping it through all 3 years of my degree.

Honestly if I ever struggle to afford it all I need to do is get a job at 1 day a week and that will cover petrol and insurance each month.
Original post by Tyler12mate
The car popped up from a good friend. It was a very tidy car for its age apart from the odd scratch. It had 11 months mot and nothing wrong with it and he only wanted £250. The offer was far too god to refuse.

The insurance quotes were all pretty similar to smaller engine cars and as I got the car so cheap, some of the money went towards insurance.

I was previously riding a motorcycle to get to college and work however as my mum is disabled and has regular hospital appointments, a car is now far more practical.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, makes sense. Insurance must be crippling to get a full year.
1L Peugeot 107. In my first year of driving it was about £83 a month for insurance, which dropped to about £60 a month on renewal the next year. Just changed providers and it's £47 a month.

Petrol I'm not sure as I don't really keep track. Officially it's supposed to be around 60MPG I think, but I'm not sure how trustworthy that is (I don't know if that's just testing in a lab or if it's real driving conditions - 50MPG would maybe be more realistic).
1 litre toyota aygo, 2011*

Cost £3000 - I technically bought this from my parents in exhange for my old car - so I pay back around £100 a month. My old car was £1500 and I had paid for it outright.*

Insurance for the year paid all at once was just under £900

Tax I can't remember but it's in the lowest bracket

Breakdown cover is free with my bank account

I probably fill up £15 every fortnight. Use my car for small journeys every day - average of about 5 miles per day I'd say, sometimes less. Have to use it for work but get petrol paid back.

Needed 3 new tyres this year which average around £40 per tyre, and MOT which is £37 I believe. *Probably will need more repairs at some point.

I don't feel like I spend too much on my car, though I realise I have the advantage of being able to pay over a longer period of time. Id never be able to afford a car this new if my parents hadn't kindly sold it to me. *
Reply 12
2013 Mercedes C250

Insurance: £80/mo
Fuel: £55/week
Tax: Dunno, few hundred.
Tyres: £140/ea
Brake Discs + Pads: £40/disc Pads free with Halfords Brakes for life
£1.7k is a ridiculous amount for insurance! I passed 5 months ago and have a Peugeot 107, insurance is £600 a year, tax £20 a year, petrol is maybe £20-30 a month, car parts are ridiculously cheap as well as there's so many of them on the road (replaced both wing mirrors for £50), tyres were £20 each. It's not the nicest car and I would definitely prefer a Mini but I'd rather get a few years NCD first to make insurance drop before I get a better car. Plus being at uni it's nice having a car which is cheap as chips to run and maintain.
Original post by LeaX
£1.7k is a ridiculous amount for insurance! I passed 5 months ago and have a Peugeot 107, insurance is £600 a year, tax £20 a year, petrol is maybe £20-30 a month, car parts are ridiculously cheap as well as there's so many of them on the road (replaced both wing mirrors for £50), tyres were £20 each. It's not the nicest car and I would definitely prefer a Mini but I'd rather get a few years NCD first to make insurance drop before I get a better car. Plus being at uni it's nice having a car which is cheap as chips to run and maintain.

how is your insurance so cheap?! I'm 27, have a years no claims and it still cost me about £875 for this year - that was the absolute cheapest quote too - most places quoted £1k + :frown:*
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
how is your insurance so cheap?! I'm 27, have a years no claims and it still cost me about £875 for this year - that was the absolute cheapest quote too - most places quoted £1k + :frown:*

I don't know, I think it's the car because my friend who lives in same town, same age and has been driving for longer than me has insurance double the price. I'm 21 and have 1 years no claim, 1 parent on my policy. I'm with Admiral Bell
Original post by LeaX
I don't know, I think it's the car because my friend who lives in same town, same age and has been driving for longer than me has insurance double the price. I'm 21 and have 1 years no claim, 1 parent on my policy. I'm with Admiral Bell

we have basically the same car though? Pretty sure a Peugeot 107 and Toyota aygo have the same engine or whatever. Who knows. I did ring up before to ask why it was so high and they said it could be due to where I live and the fact that my car is parked on the street at night. Such a rip off*:angry:
I'm getting a mini as well!

Insurance will be £900 for me and my boyfriend, tax is £120 and the guy said £40-50 to fill it =)
Reply 18
Original post by Jackieox
I'm getting a mini as well!

Insurance will be £900 for me and my boyfriend, tax is £120 and the guy said £40-50 to fill it =)

Ahh how is your insurance so low?:colonhash: And which mini? :colondollar:
Original post by Dann.It
Ahh how is your insurance so low?:colonhash: And which mini? :colondollar:

My boyfriend has been driving since he passed his test two years ago (I haven't driven since) so he's going to be the main driver...and I'm looking at either a one or a cooper depending on which one i like more, a 2007-2009 model =)

Quick Reply

Latest