Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got an interview on Monday for Sainsbury's for general assistant.. a few things:

I'm scared of telling my mum - you may think that's a bit stupid but what should I say to her like it's the first time me getting a job so I'm nervous.

The interview: basically I keep thinking "what if I don't know what to say" Etc I really want this job. Also, I got to wear smart casual clothing. No jeans or trousers etc, what would a 16 year old wear?

Looking forward for replies
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Billyy Barness)
    I got an interview on Monday for Sainsbury's for general assistant.. a few things:

I'm scared of telling my mum - you may think that's a bit stupid but what should I say to her like it's the first time me getting a job so I'm nervous.

The interview: basically I keep thinking "what if I don't know what to say" Etc I really want this job. Also, I got to wear smart casual clothing. No jeans or trousers etc, what would a 16 year old wear?

Not sure I can help with what to say to your Mum - why do you think she won't be pleased for you?

Think about what the job involves (turning up on time, being polite to customers no matter how wrong/annoying they are, following safety, hygiene, shelf stacking rules etc very accurately, using your initiative, asking if you aren't sure, working even harder/faster when the shop gets busy etc) and think of an example of each you can give to show you've done that before.

The best clue to what to wear, if you don't think a suit is appropriate, is to check out what the staff wear for their uniform (less the colour/branding etc) and go with the smartest version of that that you can. So if the staff basically wear black trousers, white shirt and logo'd jumper, you should wear black trousers, white shirt and dark coloured jumper. If they wear chinos and polo shirts, then that's OK to wear. Don't try and copy the shop branding or colour, just a smart version of the standard of dress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Not sure I can help with what to say to your Mum - why do you think she won't be pleased for you
    It's not that she won't be please, it's just idk what to say
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    It's not that she won't be please, it's just idk what to say
    "By the way Mum, I'm going out for an hour or so at 1030 on Monday because I've got an interview at Sainsbury's for a part-time shop assistants job"

ReputationRep:

Just explain to your mum you've been looking for a job and have gotten an interview for Sainsbury's. She will be fine with it and if she truly objects for whatever reason, you can always call the shop and cancel.

As for the interview itself, the person conducting it will understand you are nervous and will give you plenty of prompts to build answers from if you get stuck, don't worry too much. I'd personally wear smart trousers with a shirt + tie. If in doubt dress smart, it could be what separates you from other candidates.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.