Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there a reason why, although Newcastle scored 24/24, more people apply to Oxbridge ans Imperial who all scorred 21/24. Could you also tell me who you would apply for and why?

ReputationRep:
    'why i applied to Oxford but not Newcastle'

well, to be honest i never even considered Newcastle.. (i'm sure someone will want to flame me for this, but.. :rolleyes: ):

- main reason was location. i'm a southerner i think. at Oxford my parents can easily come & visit me 2/3 times a term or in case of emergency, be there within 2 hours.

- is newcastle a 6 year course? i wanted lots of letters after my name when i graduate.. MA, BM ChB (the intercalating degree issue probably deserves its own thread!)

- Newcastle is perhaps a more 'integrated', 'early patient contact', 'problem based learning' course? well, that idea didn't really do it for me. (i think the traditional v. modern course debate has been done to death, or deserves its own thread!) i want a firm basis, i.e. preclinical medicine first. & the flexibility of stopping after 3 years with a BA to show for it if i realised it had all been a horrible mistake!

- Can you transfer from Newcastle mid way through your degree? From Oxford i could move to London or The Dark Side after 3 years.. & this appealed to me. 6 years seemed like a very long time to be in one place when i was applying! (1st year has just flown though!)

- In Newcastle you live in halls & then out i guess? I wanted to be able to live in college accomodation more = cheaper & easier.

- Newcastle you just have a year group distinction? I liked the collegiate idea (debated elsewhere i should imagine) & individual attention..most of the time i feel 1 of 6 medics, rather than 1 of 200 or so.

- I suppose Newcastle do have tutorial style teaching to score so highly! but yes..i liked the idea of tutes.

- & i loved Oxford at the open day. & thought it would be somewhere i'd find it quite easy to be happy. turrets & gargoyles & gowns & candlelight are things i like! plus Oxford has a reasonably 'arty' atomosphere.. & if i weren't a medic, i might be a historian!

Just some of my reasons..all very personal, but hope they might help!

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle was actually my joint first choice (dropped to 2nd after I got into Cambridge) but they rejected me. :mad:

Anyone will tell you that the league table scores mean very little. For medical school, all of them are good, and therefore it is more important to pick a place that you will be happy at rather than one which is top of the league one year.

Elles answer is a very good example - just to take a few of her notes for my own purposes...

(Original post by Elles)
    'why i applied to Oxford but not Newcastle'
    - main reason was location. i'm a southerner i think. at Oxford my parents can easily come & visit me 2/3 times a term or in case of emergency, be there within 2 hours.
    Newcastle is, I suppose, further from me than Cambridge (I think 4 hoursish; Cambridge is 2½) but that was not an issue because I am not bothered about seeing my parents a lot. Scotland might have been too far in terms of convenience, but that didn't matter for Newcastle. A lot of southerners might look at it as the back of beyond though (I'm a Midlander, dammit!)

However, I didn't apply to any London Medical schools, because my country bumpkin self couldn't bear living there for 6 years.

- is newcastle a 6 year course? i wanted lots of letters after my name when i graduate.. MA, BM ChB (the intercalating degree issue probably deserves its own thread!)
    It's 5, but with the option of intercalation

- Newcastle is perhaps a more 'integrated', 'early patient contact', 'problem based learning' course? well, that idea didn't really do it for me. (i think the traditional v. modern course debate has been done to death, or deserves its own thread!) i want a firm basis, i.e. preclinical medicine first. & the flexibility of stopping after 3 years with a BA to show for it if i realised it had all been a horrible mistake!
    It's integrated but not PBL. I looked into this quite a lot, because I didn't want to do PBL. Some people love it, but I don't think it would work for me - I wanted to be taught important stuff I need to know! That took out places like Manchester, Liverpool etc.

- Newcastle you just have a year group distinction? I liked the collegiate idea (debated elsewhere i should imagine) & individual attention..most of the time i feel 1 of 6 medics, rather than 1 of 200 or so.
    Yeah, I really like the collegiate system, our 12 Clare medics are quite a close-knit little band and it's great. However, I'm sure I'd make friends at another uni - halls are similar to colleges in this aspect.

- & i loved Oxford at the open day. & thought it would be somewhere i'd find it quite easy to be happy. turrets & gargoyles & gowns & candlelight are things i like! plus Oxford has a reasonably 'arty' atomosphere.. & if i weren't a medic, i might be a historian!
    Of course, the killer one. Because it's Cambridge. I fell in love with Newcastle when I went there, and then even more in love with Cambridge 2 days later (but was convinced I wouldn't get in, so tried not to attach myself too much!). There are tonnes of people who apply just because of the Oxbridge name, the prestige and so on. Most of them, hopefully get rejected, but it's still nice to feel you're part of something that famous

Statistically though, or at least, when I was applying, Oxbridge admissionslaces ratios are fairly low, because they're very self-selecting. Nottingham was highest, Newcastle was somewhere in the middle.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.