The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Computer Science vs Civil Engineering?

Need some opinions.
I have currently finished my first year at City University London , studying Civil Engineering BEng and I have managed to achieve a first class. However, I have always had something for computers and I enjoy working on a computer most of the time. Now I am thinking of transferring into Computer Science at King's College London. So, what do you think people?

Civil Engineering or Computer science? (in terms of salary, job prospects and which ones more enjoyable)
Well for a start King's is a lot more reputable than City will ever be. Secondly, Comp sci has better salary and job prospects than Civil Engineering, and this is a trend that is due to increase with time. Civil is probably more enjoyable tho, Comp Sci can be very demonic at times. But if you like working hard you might find both fun.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
For King's being more reputable is one of the reasons I am motivated to transfer & I think I would enjoy both , but maybe Comp Sci more, but another thing that is holding me back is the fact that I have paid the tuition fees for the first year of my civil engineering and it would technically go to waste, So would you think this year of going Comp Sci at King's could be a investment?

Thank you for replying btw
Reply 3
Can anyone give me some advantages and disadvantages of studying civil engineering?
I'm choosing between 2 engineering degrees and making a list for and against studying either of them and want more input, especially with people who have experience.
Reply 4
I know this is quite a few years late, but it would be really helpful if you could still answer. Did you end up changing? If you did how was it, are you happy with your decision?
(edited 2 years ago)
I would like to know too. I am interested in mechanical or aerospace engineering, but it seems most engineering graduates end up in IT instead! Is this because they can't find a good engineering graduate job?

Quick Reply

Latest