Turn on thread page Beta

What happens to the love after a breakup?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay this is just out of curiosity. I have seen a lot of people (including me) that when in love you are all over the other person. You can't seem to let go. You don't see a single negative point about him/her even if its staring at you with glares:p: . You vow to never part. You promise each other that your love is eternal and :blah:. And then provided that you have had a good breakup and a while later all the love and mushiness just disappears and then we tend to sprint onto another person and sometimes the same situation occurs. I found it really strange, it has happened to me as well. Where does all the love that existed previously go??:confused: Does any of you also wonder as in what the **** you ever saw in that person and why you started dating him/her in the first place??

:tee:

ReputationRep:
    All the love runs out of you in snot and tears.

I dont know getting over a break up has always been hard for me, but eventually i think you get used to not having that person in that way. Love may even turn into friendship

ReputationRep:
    I totally understand what you mean. The love gets killed by the hatred you have for them after

Does any of you also wonder as in what the **** you ever saw in that person and why you started dating him/her in the first place??
    Yep. Its funny because at first there's so much to do/talk about that everything seems fine but then after a while when things die down they begin to show other aspects of their personality and then you think what on earth have i got myself into. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Lol^^^ yeah, you got a point. Blokes tend to take advantage of our good nature after a while because they know that we will do what they want.

Breaking up is always hard though because you spend so much time together. I think if you really loved that person, you end up getting back together and if you get on with your life after a few weeks, you couldnt have loved him as much as you think.

Personally, i think the hardest part is not having the constant company and affection.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends if you truly did love them or not. If you did then you spend ages missing them until suddenly you're just used to not having them anymore. I wouldn't say the love actually goes anywhere - it's a bit like a bereavement apart from it's optional which makes it almost worse. Part of the love turns into resentment for the way things ended but mostly it's just the realisation that you haven't seen them/been with them in so long and you can survive without them. But that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that if you loved someone and had a 'good' breakup, you dont stop loving them. Thats whats happened in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. I know everyone thinks it's such a cliche when people say "I love you, I'm just not in love with you" but it's totally true. Even if you have a 'bad' breakup some concern and affection still remains - once you've been with someone for a while they become almost like your family and so however much you might hate them, there's always something still there, even if it's just built on memories of the good times.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree that you will always maintain affection for people you went out with.
    It will just decrease in depth, love etc after you've broken up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarryEyedSurprise)
    The tiger in your profile is awesome. [/offtopic]
    Thanx .

I understand what you guys mean, although for me breaks up have been relatively healthy . I don't know what happens to the "love", maybe it wasn't really love....maybe some kind of prolonged infatuations or merely just liking the company of the person. Or maybe thats just how my mindset works....because for me when a relationship is broken its over...and I don't like moping about for something thats broken . But yeah it does take a while to adjust to being without the other person. I guess it must be harder if you have had an ever longer relationship time frame. My longest has been 1 year 4 months or so :p:

ReputationRep:
    I gravitate towards pastures greener.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anannya)
    Does any of you also wonder as in what the **** you ever saw in that person and why you started dating him/her in the first place??
    lol yeah very true!
    I think loves just disappears for a little bit. But it never goes completely.

ReputationRep:
    That love was not some material. It was emotion that disappeared. But intelligent question.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's always love in the situation you describe, but lust. Love doesn't necessarily blind you to a person's flaws, love accepts them.

Lust, however, is the metaphorical 'rose tinted glasses' and is very easy to fall out of. I mean, married people are in love. But they aren't all over each other all the time (generally), or oblivious to the things that annoy them about one another, because when the initial lust fell away they are left with love!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.