Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Guys I really need your help??

ReputationRep:
    being a pilot sounds more interesting .... have you always wanted to be a pilot ? if so i would say go for the pilot thing and if it doesn't work out you could still go uni later

ReputationRep:
    You fallow your heart and you will not mistake . May, you aspect other answer but you must reflect on thing you like it

ReputationRep:
    Being a pilot would be cool but I'd question if it's a good idea as a career plan with all the automation happening in the transportation sector at the moment.

Economics favors automation, because robots are cheaper, more efficient and make less mistakes than humans.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got the £70k+ it's going to cost to put yourself through training?

If you're going to apply for flight schools how are you going to make yourself seem a better candidate than those guys who have degrees and more life experience?

What are you going to do if you don't make it through training, what's your back up?

Uni. Only sensible choice.

ReputationRep:
    Both, unless you already have an offer for a training course then you are best off going to uni then applying.

ReputationRep:
    We can't really help you with this OP. It's really a decision down to you and what your interests are tbh.

What's your motivation for being a pilot? Are you confident you can handle the training? Note that BALPA (the pilots' trade union) are quite candid with how there aren't enough job opportunities out there. So what would you do if you can't find an airline job for a long time?

What course did you have in mind with university?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're successful on some airline sponsorship, my advice is to go to university now. I don't think BA are doing their FPP this year. You need a backup plan if you were unable to be a pilot, or lose your job. Remember something like failing a Class 1 medical will mean you can't fly for airlines anymore; without a degree it'd probably be hard to get into another career.

It'll probably be necessary to fund your own training, but you'd still be competing with experienced aviators who have more flying hours. If you're like me and it's your ambition to become an airline pilot - definitely go for it, but do consider university; it could save you a lot of hassle 20+ years down the line.

At the end of the day man it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Raysfc16

I'm a pilot still in training but saw your post. I also wrote a big piece for this guy here>>

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...rimary_content

So find it on there and check that out, might help you a bit. Also don't believe this nonsense about automation taking over the Aviation industry.
    There will always be pilots...trust me! If you guys knew just how many systems there are on aircraft these days and how many things actually do go wrong, you wouldn't get on a plane without a pilot! Just because you don't hear about things going wrong, does not mean everything is working as it should!

So yeah, fully automated aircraft will not happen, at least not in my lifetime. Robots are cheaper and more efficient yes, but what happens when they go wrong?

BTW I did go to uni. The guys above aren't wrong, you should think of a back-up plan. But there is actually a demand for pilots worldwide, maybe not in the UK or the US, but in other parts of the world there is a very high demand. Whatever your choice, best of luck to you!

Any more info you want I'll do my best to help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.