The Student Room Group

If you're looking for a new mobile phone/tariff please look here first!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Anyone had experience of Virgin? was thinking of getting their deal where you get unlimited everything on a 30 day contract for £15. seems good
Reply 481
This Christmas will mark my first foray into smartphones (after ten years of reliable old Nokia's). I've never used a touch screen phone before so I'm going for a 'budget' smartphone (also because I don't really want the biggest and best). The three I've got written down are the Nokia Lumia 625, Sony Xperia M and the HTC Desire 500. I've also only ever been on PAYG (but have been on a monthly top up).

I picked what I thought was the best tariff for each of those three to help me decide which one to go for because they're fairly similar in terms of their specs (only looking for a tariff less than £25 a month)

Nokia Lumia 625 (1000 mins, Unlimited texts, 500MB, EE, £18.99 per month, 4G)
Sony Xperia M (300 mins, Unlimited texts, 500MB, O2, £17 per month, 3G)
HTC Desire 500 (600 mins, Unlimited texts, 500MB, Vodafone, £21 per month, 3G)

Thoughts?
Reply 482
Original post by Hugs31
This Christmas will mark my first foray into smartphones (after ten years of reliable old Nokia's). I've never used a touch screen phone before so I'm going for a 'budget' smartphone (also because I don't really want the biggest and best). The three I've got written down are the Nokia Lumia 625, Sony Xperia M and the HTC Desire 500. I've also only ever been on PAYG (but have been on a monthly top up).

I picked what I thought was the best tariff for each of those three to help me decide which one to go for because they're fairly similar in terms of their specs (only looking for a tariff less than £25 a month)

Thoughts?

Two thoughts.

1) I have the Lumia 920 and highly recommend the lumia range, the only bad thing is the poor battery

2) You'd be better off saving a sufficient amount of cash to buy the handset and then get a stupidly cheap sim-only plan, it's cheaper over the two year contract life of a normal contract
Reply 483
Original post by Rakas21
Two thoughts.

1) I have the Lumia 920 and highly recommend the lumia range, the only bad thing is the poor battery

2) You'd be better off saving a sufficient amount of cash to buy the handset and then get a stupidly cheap sim-only plan, it's cheaper over the two year contract life of a normal contract

I see your point. I did a calculation for the Lumia 625 which the Carephone Warehouse priced at £129 and a £10 SIM and it came to £80 cheaper but at the expense of not that much in terms of minutes, texts or data. The other two would also be more expensive on PAYG. The £18.99 PM contract was the best 4G deal of any phone.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Two thoughts.

+1 for Lumia 920. Best phone I've ever had.
Original post by Hugs31

Thoughts?

I would also consider the Moto G: http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_payg_sub.asp?ManKey=2&intcid=motog_payg_landing_15-11-2013

I would probably buy this phone on PAYG, unlock it (you can do this for about £2) and then go with ovivo: http://www.ovivomobile.com/

With this you pay a one off fee of £20, but £15 of that goes onto your phone as credit. You also get 200 mins, 300 texts and 500mb of internet for free every month (so its like a contract, but you don't pay anything each month). The only problem would be if you think you would use more texts/ mins. But even then, i don't think they're too expensive.
Reply 486
Original post by Hugs31
I see your point. I did a calculation for the Lumia 625 which the Carephone Warehouse priced at £129 and a £10 SIM and it came to £80 cheaper but at the expense of not that much in terms of minutes, texts or data. The other two would also be more expensive on PAYG. The £18.99 PM contract was the best 4G deal of any phone.

Indeed and for that ~£80 if you shop around you can match your contract offers. A £10 sim only plan from 3 gives you 600 minutes, 5000 texts (unlimited since unlimited contracts have "fair usage" allowances) and 1GB internet.

http://store.three.co.uk/SIM_Only/Voice_Pay_Monthly?sort=priceValue-ascending&deviceType=SIM_ONLY&priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY&deviceType=SIM_ONLY&categoryType=VOICE&subCategoryType=SIM_ONLY&tariffType=PAY_MONTHLY

Hell for £15 you get 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data which beats all other offers costs you £360 over 2 years. Compare this to say a £42 O2 plan for SGS or IP which costs £1000 over 2 years.
Reply 487
Original post by Rakas21
Indeed and for that ~£80 if you shop around you can match your contract offers. A £10 sim only plan from 3 gives you 600 minutes, 5000 texts (unlimited since unlimited contracts have "fair usage" allowances) and 1GB internet.

http://store.three.co.uk/SIM_Only/Voice_Pay_Monthly?sort=priceValue-ascending&deviceType=SIM_ONLY&priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY&deviceType=SIM_ONLY&categoryType=VOICE&subCategoryType=SIM_ONLY&tariffType=PAY_MONTHLY

Hell for £15 you get 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data which beats all other offers costs you £360 over 2 years. Compare this to say a £42 O2 plan for SGS or IP which costs £1000 over 2 years.

Original post by brittanna
I would also consider the Moto G: http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_payg_sub.asp?ManKey=2&intcid=motog_payg_landing_15-11-2013

I would probably buy this phone on PAYG, unlock it (you can do this for about £2) and then go with ovivo: http://www.ovivomobile.com/

With this you pay a one off fee of £20, but £15 of that goes onto your phone as credit. You also get 200 mins, 300 texts and 500mb of internet for free every month (so its like a contract, but you don't pay anything each month). The only problem would be if you think you would use more texts/ mins. But even then, i don't think they're too expensive.

Was only aware of the Motorola RAZR i (in their smartphone fleet) so the Moto GP is their entry into the budget smartphone market. An excellent bargain actually given the specs of the phone. I'd be really tempted by this, my only quibble is about there being no micro SD slot, the 16GB is the same price as the Lumia 625.

The Lumia 625 might be of more benefit to me personally because it has an FFC for Skype, easy access to OneNote and Office with the Windows 8 OS. The maps on Nokia are really good as well (unless Android phones use Google maps for the GPS? or would Motorola use their own maps?). O2 also offers £20 to spend in the app store and £20 vouchers if you buy the Lumia 625 for Christmas which my friend jokingly said would buy the whole of the Windows app store (an Android owner himself).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 488
This has probably been asked loads of times before...but what are your thoughts on the iPhone 5S vs Samsung Galaxy S4? I'm leaning towards the former at the moment - I really like iOS7, and I've never had any issues with Apple products in the past. My mum has an S4 and loves it, but I'm not particularly fussed on the interface. The problem is that I'd have to pay £150 upfront for the iPhone on top of the contract, and I wanted to know if you guys thought that this would be worth it for the phone?

I only really use my phone for making and receiving calls/texting/emailing/Facebook/Candy Crush (:frown:)/general app-ing.
Reply 489
I have a decent sim-contract on my Blackberry. I am wanting to get a new BB handset and I don't know which would be better out of the Q5 or the Z10. My budget is £200 and I don't want the Q10. Both phones seem to have the features I want but which one is better overall? Price-wise they are both similar at around £180 for the handset. At the moment I have an old curve and I do love having the actual physical keypad rather than all touch-screen but I also want fast browsing. I only really use my phone for receiving e-mails and browsing. My sim-contract is £10 which has unlimited texts, 300 minds and unlimited BB web which is why I want the BB handset.
Original post by SHABANA
I have a decent sim-contract on my Blackberry. I am wanting to get a new BB handset and I don't know which would be better out of the Q5 or the Z10. My budget is £200 and I don't want the Q10. Both phones seem to have the features I want but which one is better overall? Price-wise they are both similar at around £180 for the handset. At the moment I have an old curve and I do love having the actual physical keypad rather than all touch-screen but I also want fast browsing. I only really use my phone for receiving e-mails and browsing. My sim-contract is £10 which has unlimited texts, 300 minds and unlimited BB web which is why I want the BB handset.

You mentioned that you have a BB web contract suggesting that this is for blackberry Internet service (for security) which is on blackberry 7 and I'm pretty sure this is not supported on BB10 which is on the q5 and z10. I think this means you wouldn't be able to use Internet on your new blackberry with your current contract so you would have to change it to a regular one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 491
Original post by Nikhil123
You mentioned that you have a BB web contract suggesting that this is for blackberry Internet service (for security) which is on blackberry 7 and I'm pretty sure this is not supported on BB10 which is on the q5 and z10. I think this means you wouldn't be able to use Internet on your new blackberry with your current contract so you would have to change it to a regular one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just bought the phone yesterday - I believe I am still getting unlimited web but if I wanted it on 4G I would have to go on a different tariff as this is using 3G. This is still fast enough for anything that I want to use it for.
Original post by SHABANA
I just bought the phone yesterday - I believe I am still getting unlimited web but if I wanted it on 4G I would have to go on a different tariff as this is using 3G. This is still fast enough for anything that I want to use it for.

Which one did you get?
Reply 493
Original post by Nikhil123
Which one did you get?

z10
The deal I got was good I found a simple comparison site called oursecretstyle.com got a 5C in white! Found a fix for my wife's iPhone 4s wifi greyed out problem
I'm pondering a conundrum, I want to keep my one plan contract with 3 and get an iPhone in the next month or so. I can upgrade from next week and at their current prices a 8Gb 5C works out at 360 over and above remaining sim only, so a significant saving on buying the phone direct and staying sim only. The 16Gb model however costs significantly more than buying outright over the course of the contract. My iPad very rarely goes over 8Gb used, but am I prepared to commit to 24 months with an 8Gb limit? The cheapest way to get the extra 8Gb works out at another 110 but also having to pay for the phone upfront which carries an opportunity cost with it.
Reply 496
Can anyone help me out, I'm looking for a site that provides discounts on phone contracts? I got my iphone 4s two years back £27 a month unlimited contract (including £10 discount).
giffgaff is the best, should add that to the OP
Original post by rugbyladosc
giffgaff is the best, should add that to the OP

The network for giffgaff is O2 iirc, is the Internet fast?
One thing to note is when I was looking at contract deals, buying through carphone warehouse was so much cheaper than buying directly from the shop for some reason.

Great thread!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending