The Student Room Group

Studying psychology

Hi! I'm from Sweden and I want to study psychology in the UK in order to become a clinical psychologist. The system around psychologist qualification is so different from the swedish one and I'm a bit confused.

Does every undergraduate psychology degree in universities accredited by the BPS lead to becoming a psychologist? There are so many different variants: experimental psychology at Oxford, psychology, linguistics and philosophy at Cambridge etcetera, and I don't get if all psychology degrees take you on the path to become a psychologist or not.

Can I count with that BPS accredited + Psychology undergraduate degree = On the way to become a psychologist, or do I have to check every degree individually to see if it leads to becoming a psychologist?

Thanks in advance <3
Ok, so.

I am currently studying a master's in forensic psychology and I am also an assistant psychologist.

For clinical psychologist:

You have to take a BPS accredited undergraduate course - most popular is Bsc Psychology .

Then with your undergrad degree you go on to do a doctorate (For this you have to have tons of experience and brill grades)

More info can be found here: http://www.bps.org.uk/careers-education-training/accredited-courses-training-programmes/useful-accreditation-documents/clinical-psychology/clinical-psychology
Original post by fritiof.ajvide
Hi! I'm from Sweden and I want to study psychology in the UK in order to become a clinical psychologist. The system around psychologist qualification is so different from the swedish one and I'm a bit confused.

Does every undergraduate psychology degree in universities accredited by the BPS lead to becoming a psychologist? There are so many different variants: experimental psychology at Oxford, psychology, linguistics and philosophy at Cambridge etcetera, and I don't get if all psychology degrees take you on the path to become a psychologist or not.

Can I count with that BPS accredited + Psychology undergraduate degree = On the way to become a psychologist, or do I have to check every degree individually to see if it leads to becoming a psychologist?

Thanks in advance <3

Hi there!

Every psychology undergraduate course that's accredited by BPS will allow you to become a chartered psychologist, so there's no need to check them individually. If you want to become a Clinical Psychologist, you will have to take the 3-year doctorate course called Clinical Psychology, DClinPsy. Upon completion of this course, you will be eligible to practice as a Clinical Psychologist.

Have a look at this if you need more information. :smile:
I want to become a clinical psychologist.

So basicly:
1. Undergraduate degree accredited by the BPS, either only in psychology or with psychology as one of the subjects.
2. Doctorate course.

Have I understood correctly?
And if I have understood, can I count with that all the major universities (King's College, University College London, Edinburgh etcetera) are BPS credited for all their psychology degrees, or should I check every course?

Every psychology undergraduate course that's accredited by BPS will allow you to become a chartered psychologist, so there's no need to check them individually. If you want to become a Clinical Psychologist, you will have to take the 3-year doctorate course called Clinical Psychology, DClinPsy. Upon completion of this course, you will be eligible to practice as a Clinical Psychologist.

Original post by honour
Hi there!

Have a look at this if you need more information. :smile:

Thanks in advance <3

According to your previous thread, it looks like you want to be a journalist...
[I had quite a revolutionary change of dream, and it's always been between journalism and psychology for me :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
[I had quite a revolutionary change of dream, and it's always been between journalism and psychology for me :smile:

Hmm... I hate to break it to you, but entry to Clinical Psychology is incredibly competitive. In fact, just 1 in 20 people get accepted onto the course each year. People apply times and times again - some succeed, others give up. I used to want to be a Clinical Psychologist myself, because Psychology seemed like a very enjoyable degree. Did you know, only 10% of Psychology graduates actually work in the field of Psychology? Others go into related careers.

If a Clinical Psychologist is what you truly want to become, then don't give up by any means. Just remember you need plenty of relevant work experience to stand out amongst all other applicants.

I wish you the best of luck if you go ahead and pursue Clinical Psychology as a career.
Wow! That is quite different from how it works in Sweden. I appreciate your honesty. Does which university you studied at matter for your chances of being accepted to the doctorate course?

Original post by honour
Hmm... I hate to break it to you, but entry to Clinical Psychology is incredibly competitive. In fact, just 1 in 20 people get accepted onto the course each year. People apply times and times again - some succeed, others give up. I used to want to be a Clinical Psychologist myself, because Psychology seemed like a very enjoyable degree. Did you know, only 10% of Psychology graduates actually work in the field of Psychology? Others go into related careers.

If a Clinical Psychologist is what you truly want to become, then don't give up by any means. Just remember you need plenty of relevant work experience to stand out amongst all other applicants.

I wish you the best of luck if you go ahead and pursue Clinical Psychology as a career.
Wow! That is quite different from how it works in Sweden. I appreciate your honesty. Does which university you studied at matter for your chances of being accepted to the doctorate course?

Possibly. It also depends on what honours you're awarded. Most Clinical Psychology courses only accept a minimum of (2:1). If you study for a Master's degree or PhD, that will also increase your chances. Have a read of this, it's very useful for aspiring Clinical Psychologists.

Quick Reply

Latest