Turn on thread page Beta

Headphone input and output at the same time ??? watch

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered if anyone around could possibly point me in the right direction.

My sister, who's deluded about her singing and wants to participate in a local singing competition.

To listen to her singing, she wants to be able to sing using the microphone and hear it herself using the headphone both at the same time. So far, I failed to help her towards doing it, regardless of having headphone with 2 cable (black & red) i.e. mic's & headset.

It's different to sing and hear our sound normally than hearing the same from a headset, whereby the clarity of sound can be focused upon further.

Using the headphone, she can speak and get her sound recorded, however, its ONLY after the actual recording could she hear the sound but what she wanted was to sing and hear at the same time.

Currently I use Audacity & so far I fail to see anything that allows me to do so. Could anyone possibly help?

ReputationRep:
    Virtually any non-onboard soundcard will do that by default; but check to see if 'line in'/'mic' is up in volume control.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you plug the headset mike into the line in, and the headset's phones into the output, you should be able to hear yourself as you speak IF the level of the mike on the line in is high enough... If you plug it in to the mic in instead, the level may be a little higher but with loss to quality.

If it's not a headset mike (little unsure) you'd probably want to feed it through an external mike pre-amp first as the level probably wont be suited to go straight into your sound card. Otherwise you may be able to turn up the line in/mic gain in your sound card options.

But, as a not very good possible fix, I've noticed that under Preferences in Audacity there is an option of "Software Playthrough (play new track while recording it)". Which might be of use. Not going test it and make nosie at 23:47 though !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KPeh)
    Well, if you plug the headset mike into the line in, and the headset's phones into the output, you should be able to hear yourself as you speak IF the level of the mike on the line in is high enough... If you plug it in to the mic in instead, the level may be a little higher but with loss to quality.

If it's not a headset mike (little unsure) you'd probably want to feed it through an external mike pre-amp first as the level probably wont be suited to go straight into your sound card. Otherwise you may be able to turn up the line in/mic gain in your sound card options.

But, as a not very good possible fix, I've noticed that under Preferences in Audacity there is an option of "Software Playthrough (play new track while recording it)". Which might be of use. Not going test it and make nosie at 23:47 though !
    Thanks, that's rather helpful to be honest. Much appreciated.

Simply ticking that option saying "play new track while recording it", is enough get the desired result.

Additionally, in Audacity, while fiddling with other setting I realised that if we simply click in the "middle monitor input" (in the top middle area), we don't necessary have to record anything at all, we can simply speak and hear back at the same time.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.