Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my second year of sixth form and want to apply to do law at university, however I failed my maths GCSE and got a D. Last year (12) I retook it and currently awaiting for the results. Lets say if I have failed it again(hope i havent), what are the chances of me getting accepted into university, if my a level grades are looking fairly good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choco_monsterxo)
    what are the chances of me getting accepted into university, if my a level grades are looking fairly good.
    What unis are you considering to apply to? What are your A-level grades/predictions?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'm going into my second year of sixth form and want to apply to do law at university, however I failed my maths GCSE and got a D. Last year (12) I retook it and currently awaiting for the results. Lets say if I have failed it again(hope i havent), what are the chances of me getting accepted into university, if my a level grades are looking fairly good.
    Most graduate jobs (and legal postgrad courses) require 5 GCSEs including English and Maths at C and above. A university that accepts you without a C in Maths could well be teaching you for 3+ years only to send you out for unemployment or non-professional employment.

Because of this most universities are very strict on GCSE requirements in a way that they aren't for A levels. If you've failed again then see if you can retake ASAP (sometimes Maths GCSE is available for an autumn resit) and keep retaking until you get that C grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    What unis are you considering to apply to? What are your A-level grades/predictions?
    Brunel
    Kingston
    Reading
    SOAS

Because Im doing level 3 subjects im predicted D, DM which is equivalent to A, AB

ReputationRep:
    Brunel
    Kingston
    Reading
    SOAS

Because Im doing level 3 subjects im predicted D, DM which is equivalent to A, AB
    I wouldn't worry too much about getting into at least one of these courses, as long as you've checked that they accept BTEC qualifications, that their minimum grade requirements are lower than DDM, and that you satisfy their minimum requirements for GCSE. Unis tend to be very strict on GCSE requirements (a lot of Law courses ask for C/B in Maths), so I'd check their websites and wait for the GCSE results to come out before doing anything else.

If you're statistically driven, https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ and http://university.which.co.uk/ offer detailed information on acceptance rates, the average UCAS points of offerholders, and so on. Unistats in particular has a detailed breakdown on its "Entry information" page for each course which could be interesting to read. For example, this is the breakdown for SOAS Law LLB: https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subje...eturnTo/Search

Bear in mind that SOAS will ask you to sit the LNAT, which will require separate practice and booking. I've heard that it's requirements for the multiple choice are fairly low (high 10s/low 20s).

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.