Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Christians allowed to play video games that have violent themes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Are Christians allowed to play video games, video games that include violence, sexual immorality etc. I often look at the verse Philippians 4:8 "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things". Would games with violent themes etc. pass this test?

ReputationRep:
    I tell you what would be totally rad - get Sega/Creative/Activision to make Bible:Total War. It would be awesome. You could be the Egyptians, the Philistines, the Israelites - and just war on each other and use like points to buy the Wrath of God.

Can you imagine trashing some n00b online - he thinks he's about to win and you drop the Red Sea on him??

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more about not making this an idol. Is it benefiting your spiritual life in any way? I doubt it'll make you a violent person if that's what you're worried about. The main thing is if you have to seriously question it and feel a hint of guilt while playing these games, it's best to avoid them.

Of course not, you are not to be of the world.

Violent video games/sexual immorality of satan.

Don't let people tell you otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    OMG

What about GTA:Canaan??

You're just some normal radical Jewish rabbi - you go round the kingdom of Judah. Seeing your homeboys. Go down the Temple and mess up the moneylenders. Ok, at first you got to book out when the Romans turn up, but maybe later you can fight them. Get a bunch of guys behind you, your disciples. Go see Mary Magdelene for a booty call. Jack some dude's donkey and ride into Jerusalem like a pimp.

All to a Ludacris soundtrack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Of course not, you are not to be of the world.

Violent video games/sexual immorality of satan.
    i'm not looking for a loophole or anything like that. But shouldn't that only be if you make it an idol or if you embrace it and that becomes part of your character?

In regard to violence, i believe it is a very difficult topic to justify right or wrong. For example, take news. Should i not watch the news if it portrays violence? (e.g. a riot) Should i not watch cartoons that portray childish violence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    I think it's more about not making this an idol. Is it benefiting your spiritual life in any way? I doubt it'll make you a violent person if that's what you're worried about. The main thing is if you have to seriously question it and feel a hint of guilt while playing these games, it's best to avoid them.
    Not really. I don't feel any guilt or treat it as an idol, i just purely enjoy it, but it never becomes a part of my character. But i cannot see how violence passes the test of
    Philippians 4:8 "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    Not really. I don't feel any guilt or treat it as an idol, i just purely enjoy it, but it never becomes a part of my character. But i cannot see how violence passes the test of
    Philippians 4:8 "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things".
    All I can say is if you have to question your faith whilst playing these games it's best to stay away from them. Remember your conscience is the biggest teller when you're doing something wrong

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.