Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have got a really sore back from batting at cricket for having been stood in a similar position for a long period of time while being tense due to concentration. Both sides of my lower back are very sore. Does anyone know something could to get rid of the pain such as exercises. Resting it seems to do no good as it just means being in the same position again for a long period of time.

ReputationRep:
    When I want to rest my lower back I lie on the floor (back on the floor) with my thighs perpendicular to my torso. (You can rest your calves on a chair/table/etc.

Keep going on with life if possible, and use over-the-counter painkillers if it hurts to that extent. Perhaps try a cold compress for now - frozen peas/ice wrapped in towel etc. If it continues, obviously go to your GP.

Google NHS Direct's number if you want reassurance!

Btw: especially as you play sport, it'd be an idea to start on core and back exercises to strengthen the area (and improve posture).

ReputationRep:
    might be a result of sexy back?

sorry

ReputationRep:
    Take it like a man.

ReputationRep:
    I am a man why do you think I have been playing cricket today fielding 50 overs plus batting I never have time to rest it and the pain is just getting worse and worse

ReputationRep:
    what sort of pain is it? like a sharp spasm-y pain or a continuous ache or what? if you've immediately received the injury or within the last 24-48 hours ish then you should ice it which should help with pain if it's muscular, according to all advice i've heard (i suffer from back pain quite a lot)
    and if it's longer ago than that you should apply heat to it, like lying in a warm bath or a hot water bottle
    and for the pain you should take some sort of non-steroid anti inflammatory drug, for example Ibuprofen, which will help the pain far better than aspirin or paracetmol would.

also good for stretching out the back (especially when you've been sitting/standing in one position or been on your feet a lot) is the semi-supine which is basically where you lie on the floor with your knees bent in a comfortable position so your feet are flat on the floor and plac a few inches of books undr your head, and you lie there for 15-20 mins and you should feel your back stretching and your spine elongating and it realigns itself and clicks it into place.
    you'll probably have to rearrange th way you're lying after a while as your back starts to adjust but i find it really useful, it also helps to relax you.

as i've said, i've suffered from back pain for quite a while, at least a couple of years, and have been to my doctor numerous times and eventually got referred to a physio, but basically all they said was to stretch it regularly to build up the muscle, and prescriped me anti-inflammitory drugs. i still get back pain a bit, and somehow pulled a muscle or something the other day just by bending down (not even lifting anything) and straightening up again. i was in immense pain and could hardly move without my back comepletely spasming and tensingup, but i took a few pain killers and rested it fully for about 18 hours in frotn of the tv and in bed and it was fine
    so really, resting will help.

hope my advice has been useful for you, and hope your back pain goes away soon

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.