Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    this is my first post on the forum.
    I have offer to study Msc Finance and Investment at Durham aswell as Nottingham Uni.
    I would like to have views of people on the forum, which one should i take.

Also what will be the job prospectus for me once i complete the course?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Both will offer good job prospects, although Nottingham's Economics department seems to be better. Nevertheless, neither will harm your prospects. I would visit and see which one suits you best.

ReputationRep:
    that would be higly appreciated and will wait for your comment J-curve.

ReputationRep:
    No, I meant you should visit both. I have already been to Nottingham and to Durham. I prefer Durham for many reasons. I will state them below but bear in mind that they are my opinions and observations; please make your own decision.

- Durham is more traditional, and the entire town has a more community feel to it. I grew up in a small city and I wanted to keep this small feel going when I move away. Although not as large, Nottingham is a lot like Delhi (Where I am originally from) so I hated that!

- Nottingham is a campus University (or similar). It's HUGE!

ReputationRep:
    Durham's finance department is world class. I'm a first yr and we know about the CAPM, Modigliani and Miller and the EMH, topics not covered till the second and third yr in most unis.

ReputationRep:
    i m too from Delhi, Jcurve.

I m asking coz most of the rating for Business Dept places Nottingham at much higher rank. Like Times places Nottighams Biz dept at 7th while Durham's at 20th.

ReputationRep:
    Don't place too much emphasis on the rankings. They are to some extent true, but don't just simply decide because Nottingham is higher ranked. Durham, is for me, a much nicer place to live and bear in mind you need to live in the University too.

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to do with Finance and Investment?

Govt? Banking? Academia?

For the first two, there are probably better places for rep; you will prob be looking at bigger econ departments at Warwick, London etc.

For the third, it really depends on supervisors and so on - its difficult to give university-wide judgements.

It's really not very useful asking first year Business students if you should do an MSc there in Finance.

ReputationRep:
    THNX jasperstory, actually I thought this board is 4 all students and not just under grads. anyways thnx again.

and my aim is in Banking

ReputationRep:
    Employers don't really look at subject rankings, they will know about overall prestige of unis and if a uni is exceptionally good for something it will often be known. However, which uni you choose out of Nottingham and Durham will not really affect your job prospects at all so you should make your decision by which one you like best.

ReputationRep:
    If your aim is in Banking then go ask over at the Investment and Finance forum.

They will help you a lot - to be clear, from reading some of what you say I would avoid Durham, and maybe Nottingham. Look at LSE, Cam/Ox, UCL, Warwick, Imperial, CASS etc.

This is a student forum, you are right; there are better places to address questions. Asking Durham forums for whether Durham is any good, or better than a comparable university isn't going to be that helpful. That's what I've found anyway.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.