Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well Guys,

I've been using Limewire Pro for a while now, and its alright but i just wondered if anyone recommends any other P2P sharing programs to use?

I've used bit torrent in the past and hated it, opened up too many ports and just generally slowed down my net connection.

Any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    You should be careful with threads like this, that is all :p:

Oh and Libertad is a great album.

ReputationRep:
    Torrents are your best friend if you know where to look and no, I will not tell you where.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by it opened up too many ports?

You only need to open one port (which is usually 6881). Other ports are used (high ports) for transferring data between peers but this happens in lots of protocols but they're not opened in the sense that 6881 is opened (to listen).

Most clients allow you to limit download/upload rates, so just keep reducing these until net performance is how you want it. I'm able to share files all day without any noticeable performance loss though when I'm downloading files it's a bit slower.

If you're on Windows I recommend uTorrent. If you're on Linux I recommend rtorrent.

ReputationRep:
    When using torrents, the whole principle is based around sharing your data. The more data you share the bigger slice of the cake you get.

When choosing a torrent you want the ratio between seed:leech to be high as possible. so (50:1 is better than 1:50)

Setting your upload to max when Idle ensures you get the fastest speed, where as if you wish to use the net limit your upload speed to around 75% of what it is (so if your max is 30kb/s you set it to 20kb/s) this makea sure web pages load whilst downloading.

You have to remember that torrents start slow, the more parts you receive the more you can share therefore increasing your speed (generally)

As for finding torrents, private sites often have lower numbers and faster uploaders so you max out more often.

No hard feelings

ReputationRep:
    RevConnect.

ReputationRep:
    DC++, obviously.

NDGAARONDI: Tankafett, eh? Kudos.

ReputationRep:
    I used to use DC++ but after years of dormant p2p usage I never really felt the same using it as I used to. But RevConnect for me seems to be a bit easier. Yeah, Tankafett was a hub I was using until I came across this router my brother has. Yes I know www.portforward.com too. I can't seem to search for files but I can request file lists from users who are connected to the hub I'm on, though it takes ages to get a slot.

Will be looking into this in the near future. I am awaiting two external HDDs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 20, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.