Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Could really use some advice.

A girl at my university is selling her car - 2004 Ford KA at 78000 miles, MOT Jul 17 with a bunch of things just recently replaced, like two tyres. She's asking for £600. However, it has a bunch of advisories and I'd like to know whether those should put me off. Slight windscreen damage, oil leak front, coolant leak front, slight deterioration on brake hose - are all these enough that I should leave it and maybe look at similarly priced ones on Gumtree with higher mileage, or is it a good deal?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    Hey everyone,

A girl at my university is selling her car - 2004 Ford KA at 78000 miles, MOT Jul 17 with a bunch of things just recently replaced, like two tyres. She's asking for £600. However, it has a bunch of advisories and I'd like to know whether those should put me off. Slight windscreen damage, oil leak front, coolant leak front, slight deterioration on brake hose - are all these enough that I should leave it and maybe look at similarly priced ones on Gumtree with higher mileage, or is it a good deal?
    Personally i wouldnt touch a KA with a 10 foot barge pole.
    Id look into getting something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Personally i wouldnt touch a KA with a 10 foot barge pole.
    Id look into getting something else.
    Oh gosh haha! How come?

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh haha! How come?

They are a bag of s**t.
    I know all cars go rusty, but KA's go completely rotten. They are well known for it. They can also be quite unreliable compared to other cars and theres quite a few parts that are well known to go on them.
    Id look into getting something like a peugeot 206, vauxhall corsa, kia picanto or hyundai getz.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

It's a money pit, I would avoid fords in such low budget. As a uni student you will not be able to spare so much time for doing repairs. Get a Toyota Yaris, with the 1.5 petrol engine. You will not need to regularly maintain it. Get some something Japanese, you will thank yourself for it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

you do ok for a year but close it at £500 pay cash if you have to as cash wins every time (it even worked when I bought my Mercedes the other week from the dealership for £15,000 it was the best money I have spent in a long time)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.