Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After a lot of thought I have seen it wise to take the following A Levels in order to increase my chances as an applicant for PPE at Oxford University:

English Literature
    Government and Politics
    Mathematics
    Modern History

Oxford recommend History and Maths so those two are a given. Also, I am extremely passionate about Politics. Furthermore, English Literature is a very popular chosen A Level for admitted students.

Any thoughts on this or advice on applying?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If Oxford recommends you take maths and history then sure, take them if you want (as long as you understand that it is only a recommendation, they accept applicants every year who haven't taken either subject). If you like English then by all means take it, but if you're only doing it because you think it will boost your chance of success... think again, it won't.

Personally I think you should choose subjects you actually enjoy. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesLeo)
    After a lot of thought I have seen it wise to take the following A Levels in order to increase my chances as an applicant for PPE at Oxford University:

English Literature
    Government and Politics
    Mathematics
    Modern History

Oxford recommend History and Maths so those two are a given. Also, I am extremely passionate about Politics. Furthermore, English Literature is a very popular chosen A Level for admitted students.

Any thoughts on this or advice on applying?
    I did all those except economics instead of maths, and to be honest I wish I'd chosen maths instead of English.

Econ fits really nicely with history and politics. Having said that, it really depends what modules you'll be doing. Econ went better with post war Britain that it would have done with kings and queens. I was also stuck with WW1 stuff for English, which I didn't like too much.

Follow what interests you, but definitely have a good look at the options and modules you'll actually be studying.

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter what subjects you take? It's PPE...

ReputationRep:
    So long as you take the subjects that are specifically required, and you can talk about how what you've learned in your other subjects will be beneficial to you on the course you're applying for, I don't think you have too much to worry about.

If you had taken a language A-level, for example, you could talk about how it had developed your critical thinking and observational skills. Obviously it helps if things relate directly to the modules of the uni course, but mostly anything can be beneficial, and so long as you get the required grades in required subjects it shouldn't be too important.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.