Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was walking around the uni today, and I was not impressed. The architecture reeks of the 1980s and it just looks like a concrete jungle.

The place is STILL a building site, even after about 5 years since the builders turned up.

And most of the Halls are generic trash, some of them are hideous to look at, and I hope I get my preferred choice of Mill Hall.

There is a small river flowing through the campus, but I did not see any significant flora or fauna, just weeds and a few moorhens.

It is funny how the brochures and prospectuses make Brunel look quite nice, and yet in reality the place is appalling. If they have been 'photoshopping' their own brochure images then it is simply not acceptable.

I might write a long-winded email of complaint expressing my utmost dissatisfaction to the Principal tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Brunel is spending $250 million as part of its master plan to have everything at Uxbridge. Such an ambitious project will take time to complete and for the students to really benefit from it.

ReputationRep:
    What are you on about? Brunel is far from run down. I've been to Leicester and Queen Mary and they were far worse looking and much more suited the concrete jungle image you portrayed. A major reason i'm going to Brunel is because i felt it had the nicest enviroment. It is undergoing major renovations which means many of the amenities are brand new which is a major bonus. The place has a very smart feel to it.
    From reading your other threads, I really can't understand why you are pursuing Brunel at all. You seem to have a highly negative view of it so why spend £9000 on tutition fees and acumulate all that debt to go to somewhere you clearly hate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh2716)
    What are you on about? Brunel is far from run down. I've been to Leicester and Queen Mary and they were far worse looking and much more suited the concrete jungle image you portrayed. A major reason i'm going to Brunel is because i felt it had the nicest enviroment. It is undergoing major renovations which means many of the amenities are brand new which is a major bonus. The place has a very smart feel to it.
    From reading your other threads, I really can't understand why you are pursuing Brunel at all. You seem to have a highly negative view of it so why spend £9000 on tutition fees and acumulate all that debt to go to somewhere you clearly hate?
    Spot on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh2716)
    What are you on about? Brunel is far from run down. I've been to Leicester and Queen Mary and they were far worse looking and much more suited the concrete jungle image you portrayed.
    I agree. I visited QM last week and some of the buildings are really shabby. The student village is quite pleasant though.

ReputationRep:
    Brunel is practical. Its not pretty, just plain buildings-but its got all you need. A few shops, a few bars, a club, a bank etc.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities especially City ones are gonna look a bit run down. I felt the same as you when I went for my open day last year but then I went to Essex and that wasn't a pretty site. Nevertheless the inside is what counts and they have some very nice buildings. If you want a picturesque university then I would consider looking for a uni in the countryside somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Are you blind?

Brunel has really nice halls, 90% of are new.

The concrete buildings were used in the movie Clockwork Orange are are representative of 1960's architecture and they are to be left as a historical record of that.

And of course builders are about, millions has been spent on making Brunel great. Its SUMMER - thats when the work can be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveMusic)
    Are you blind?

Brunel has really nice halls, 90% of are new.

The concrete buildings were used in the movie Clockwork Orange are are representative of 1960's architecture and they are to be left as a historical record of that.

And of course builders are about, millions has been spent on making Brunel great. Its SUMMER - thats when the work can be done.
    Co-signed !! Go to an opticians OP!!

ReputationRep:
    so what .... ur going there to learn not to look at the walls

if ur so interested in how building looks, than take a gap year and apply for cambridge and RH

ReputationRep:
    So what's the general consensus then? It seems we have some seriously mixed views. Is everyone just going on what it looked like open days (which are more than likely to gloss over the nastier aspects of the University) or does anyone actually go to Brunel and can tell us what it's like?

As a prospective Mechanical Engineer I'm quite likely to apply to Brunel ( as a fairly unambitious target) and wouldn't mind knowing what to expect. When I go to the open day on 12th Septemper.

ReputationRep:
    I go to Brunel, its great. Look at the website, go to an open day

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but I get embarrassed when I tell people I am studying at Brunel. I can see the disgust in their faces when I make the smarmy revelation. :mad: I wish I was clever enough to go to Cambridge or Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    when was brunel founded?

ReputationRep:
    i feel there is nothing wrong with brunel, it is not run-down at all. the Union is top, the halls are great well the en-suite ones, and theres also halls still being built. i have also been in some lecture rooms, and they are really nice.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, you're not going there cos of the walls, etc? Things like that don't seem to bother me. Besides, most students are away on holiday. Yes, it should look presentable but I think it's OK enough. Hopefully we'll benefit from the 'new look'. And I'm not ashamed to say I've applied and WILL be studying in Brunel (hopefully).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Pipkin)
    Sorry, but I get embarrassed when I tell people I am studying at Brunel. I can see the disgust in their faces when I make the smarmy revelation. :mad: I wish I was clever enough to go to Cambridge or Bristol.
    O dear god get a grip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    when was brunel founded?
    About 1650 AD by the looks of it. And it didn't survive the Great Fire of London, either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Pipkin)
    Sorry you feel that way but FYI my old tutor went to Cambridge and all he managed was a managerial job at a crappy run down College. Brunel may not be the best University but if you work hard you will get so much out of it. Take me for example, I intend to study International Business but will also be doing GCSE and A level in Italian (I speak Italian) Spanish (I don't speak a word but am hoping to learn it) and an A level in French (I already got C in GCSE French) I am also hoping to take advantage of some other opportunities such as the work placement. Brunel is what you make of it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, when my relatives heard I was going to Brunel, they were a bit like "meh" too. Oh well. It's my choice. Couldn't care less what they think.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 17, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.