Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    A153 – Seconding Amendment
    Proposed by: Nigel Farage MEP MP (UKIP)
    Seconded by: adam9317 MP (Con), hazzer1998 MP (UKIP), The Definite Article MP (Soc), Unown Uzer MP (UKIP)

Amendment to the Guidance Document

9.2 of the Guidance Document shall be changed from

9.2.can be submitted by:

9.2.1.the Speaker, or any MP
    9.2.2. A non-MP when seconded by one MP.

9.3.will be laid out in the format and following the timings given in the guiding document

9.4. to parts of the Guidance Document stated as being binding in the Constitution will be passed if double the number of MPs vote Aye than the number of MPs who voted No.

9.5. to parts of the Guidance Document not stated as being binding in the Constitution will be passed if more MPs vote Aye than No.

9.5. to the constitution will be passed if twice as many MPs vote Aye as No

Changes made

This amendment makes two changes to the Guidance Document

1. Removes the need for an amendment to be seconded by lots of MPs. The requirement to have MPs as seconders is bureaucratic, slowing things down, or creates a situation where an MP uses the names of MPs who will second anything to start the debate.

2. Changes the voting requirements needed for things to pass, if something is required by the Constitution it is fair the voting requirement to change a binding part of the Guidance Document is the same as the requirement to change the Constitution. The Guidance Document contains things that should be in the Constitution, and the Constitution contains things that should be in the Guidance Document.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    The formatting is awful, the new and original text should always be in quotes for ease of submission and reading.

ReputationRep:
    Why involve non-MPs in the business of the House? Surely just have a requirement for a proposer and a seconder, perhaps of two different parties, or one being an independent MP? I don't want those expelled from the House or who lose their seat for lack of voting to be able to propose such amendments. Non MPs can submit petitions if they wish but should not be changing the rules of the House.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    The formatting is awful, the new and original text should always be in quotes for ease of submission and reading.
    I agree, I have made a mistake with this amendment because the original text is not in the amendment; the original text will be added for a second reading.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Given that at least the latter has been rejected on its own was rejected I expect this will be too, as for removing seconders, it's bureaucratic but reduces the chances of amendment spams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Why involve non-MPs in the business of the House? Surely just have a requirement for a proposer and a seconder, perhaps of two different parties, or one being an independent MP? I don't want those expelled from the House or who lose their seat for lack of voting to be able to propose such amendments. Non MPs can submit petitions if they wish but should not be changing the rules of the House.
    I agree, but the current text in the Guidance Document allows non-MPs to submit amendments if MPs second the amendment.

ReputationRep:
    No. The seconding requirement is there for the good reason of preventing stupid amendments from being debated. We do too much navel-gazing as it is, so if anything, it should be strengthened, not weakened.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    No it shouldn't, it's an absolute nightmare to copy across. Please use a different font or colour or something, never quotes!

ReputationRep:
    Nay - the rule is there for a reason, because amendments should enjoy genuine cross-house support rather than be pushed through by one side or another. If anything I would strengthen it - e.g. by requireing at least one seconder from the other side of the House and/or taking all seconders as automatic Aye votes in Division.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    No it shouldn't, it's an absolute nightmare to copy across. Please use a different font or colour or something, never quotes!
    If you copy the text from the reply box there shouldn't be an issue though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    When you reply to something, it removes quotes.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cBay)
    When you reply to something, it removes quotes.
    No... You can copy text including the BB code.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    No... You can copy text including the BB code.
    It deletes quotes even if you copy the BB code (and you'd be mad not to copy it that way).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    It deletes quotes even if you copy the BB code (and you'd be mad not to copy it that way).
    It shouldn't... I can do it fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    It shouldn't... I can do it fine
    Like when I quote you here.. your quote of fez isn't included in my quote.

So when Fez quotes something to get the BB code, the previous quotes disappear.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cBay)
    Like when I quote you here.. your quote of fez isn't included in my quote.

So when Fez quotes something to get the BB code, the previous quotes disappear.
    Ohhhh yeah, I get what you mean... Perhaps sending it in noparse tags.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Nay - the rule is there for a reason, because amendments should enjoy genuine cross-house support rather than be pushed through by one side or another. If anything I would strengthen it - e.g. by requireing at least one seconder from the other side of the House and/or taking all seconders as automatic Aye votes in Division.
    Is this not done effectively enough by requiring a majority in Division?

Aye, though I would like to see the requirement for a seconder from another party retained.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This amendment is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This amendment has been withdrawn.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.