Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Work Experience watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my A-Levels and i am not going to uni. Instead i am looking for an apprenticeship and i am having issues getting through the recruitment stages. I have applied for over 20 apprenticeships and have spent a lot of time applying, however i am yet to be offered an interview as most firms will not progress me any further in the recruitment stage due to my lack of work experience. I cannot gain work experience if i cannot get a job, and i cannot get a job without work experience and i am sure there are a lot of people my age in a similar situation. Can anyone recommend any ways i can make myself appear to be a good candidate without work experience? The main areas i am interested in are Engineering, Accounting, and Business. Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ah98898898)
    I have just finished my A-Levels and i am not going to uni. Instead i am looking for an apprenticeship and i am having issues getting through the recruitment stages. I have applied for over 20 apprenticeships and have spent a lot of time applying, however i am yet to be offered an interview as most firms will not progress me any further in the recruitment stage due to my lack of work experience. I cannot gain work experience if i cannot get a job, and i cannot get a job without work experience and i am sure there are a lot of people my age in a similar situation. Can anyone recommend any ways i can make myself appear to be a good candidate without work experience? The main areas i am interested in are Engineering, Accounting, and Business. Thanks.
    Can your parents sort you out with anything at their workplace? Maybe a relative somewhere else? If they've said that it's down to lack of work experience then (as difficult as it is, I empathise) is to get work experience, and if possible make your other aspects as stellar as possible.

ReputationRep:
    relevant work experience or just work experience?

either way I think your answer is the same, if you can't get a job you need to volunteer - if you want A job in general then try and do some volunteering in a charity shop or something, as far as your career goes contact businesses and ask if you could do a couple of weeks shadowing someone in a relevant career with an explanation of why you like the career/business

it's a pretty common situation to be in but it's easily fixed if you're persistent and prepared to do what you need to

ReputationRep:
    check out 3aaa. They are an apprenticeship provider all around the country and help you get an interview with companies. They have IT, Business, and accounting apprenticeships available

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.