Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tips on how to act like an 18 year old. :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    ST Note: please do not insult the OP or call them names, this is NOT okay. They are asking for advice. If you do have advice to offer, that's fine, but please keep it friendly and sensitive. Any insults/rule breaking posts will be removed and carded. Thank you!

Guys, I just made my parent cry + I don't know what to do.

I already thought I was a terrible person bc of yesterday but now, I don't know how to make things better.

So, I've been deliberately behaving like such a ***** recently primarily bc I've been feeling upset + my father has just been putting up with most of it + I do love him lots + lots but I don't know why I'm doing what I am.

- I ignored him for, like, an entire week bc stuff.

- I cut up his nicest clothes yesterday + also did the same thing the other week.

- I gave away his towel + toothbrush to a dustbin collection man.

- I text him when he's at work like "please call me, it's urgent" + when he rings I just start screaming stuff like "LEMONS ARE NICE" then just excessively laugh for ages + when he doesn't ring, I ring him + leave voicemail messages like "I'M GOING TO DIEEEEEEEE".

- Every time he tries to talk to me + I'm not feeling up to it, I just respond with the word "hairdressers" bc I've been wanting to go to the hairdressers for absolutely ages just for a small trim + he won't take me bc he doesn't want me to cut my hair + thinks I'm being silly BUT IT'S MY HAIR AND I WANT TO FRICKING DONATE IT.

- He makes me coffee every single morning before he goes to work, even though I don't like coffee + when I was angry once, I told him that I just tip it down the sink so he shouldn't bother but he still does. I recorded myself doing it once too + sent it to him as a video + he responded saying "okay" which just made me even angrier bc I don't know why but I wanted him to be angry too.

- I know that he can't make me dinner all the time bc he's always working but when I'm upset, I just don't take that into account + act like the entire world is against me + I'm going to starve + die. He still takes me to where I need to be provided he's not busy + stuff but I don't know why I'm behaving in such a terrible way.

- When he's at his house, I purposely ring him at, like, 4am in the morning even though I know he's busy the next day + start rambling about things that I want him to do for me just so he can get angry + tell me off.

- He gave me his credit card, incase I needed it for anything bc he's not always around + I've just been tipping everyone, everywhere for no reason. Like, I went to Dunelm mill today morning to buy a new bath mat + I tipped the cashier £80 bc she gave me a free plastic bag even though I think it was just bc I think she forgot to charge me. I also went bowling the other week + returned via taxi + the taxi driver dropped me right outside my house + I also tipped him £80 bc taxi drivers usually just drop me anywhere down my street.

I would like to stop.

So today, he basically came back from work early + he made me dinner so we all sat at the table + I was feeling angry again so I didn't eat any of it + instead started playing trashy, explicit music really really loud + he didn't say anything for the first two songs but then I was annoyed that he wasn't telling me off so I turned off Kesha + put in some Fetty wap stuff, I don't even know why bc I don't even like it myself + when he told me to put my headphones in, I don't know why but I just started shouting + told him that everything bad that had happened was all his fault + I kept repeating it + I basically couldn't stop + his eyes got really watery + he literally cried.

I feel like I've just confessed to the Pope.

I have never seen him cry in my entire life.

TSR, I feel really guilty.

Guilty doesn't even describe it.

I feel like I've lost 'me'. - I can't even think for myself anymore.

I don't know what to do.

I feel you. When I feel like I'm not myself, I just turn off the phone and try to keep my mind busy. Or I go on TSR and post absolutely rubbish stuff until I feel better. Or I do some other stuff. That don't need to be detailed here.

Anyway I really really feel you, I kind of used to be the same with my dad, but It was like when I was 16. I've apologised since, and I love my dad to death and today would do everthing so I can please him. I think you just need to keep you busy so you would not "bother" him

And I know it's just terribly hard trying to be busy. I know that feeling too well; many times I've hurt my friends by being a b!tch because I am terribly moody when the other me is around

TL;DR : really, try to find a way to be busy all the time <3

ReputationRep:
    I can't even believe this, I am speechless
    Like how and why would a child do that?
    I feel like crying. It would be really nice to apologise sincerely to your dad and talk nicely to him and think twice before you do anything like that when your are angry. I hope you keep your patience next time you get angry. Our parents do so much for us. Think about those who don't even have parents, they would die to be in your position. And your dad seems so nice and caring, bless him. I really hope you make it up to him.

I still can't believe it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anon_98)

I already thought I was a terrible person bc of yesterday but now, I don't know how to make things better.

So, I've been deliberately behaving like such a ***** recently primarily bc I've been feeling upset + my father has just been putting up with most of it + I do love him lots + lots but I don't know why I'm doing what I am.

- I cut up his nicest clothes yesterday + also did the same thing the other week.

- I text him when he's at work like "please call me, it's urgent" + when he rings I just start screaming stuff like "LEMONS ARE NICE" then just excessively laugh for ages + when he doesn't ring, I ring him + leave voicemail messages like "I'M GOING TO DIEEEEEEEE".

- Every time he tries to talk to me + I'm not feeling up to it, I just respond with the word "hairdressers" bc I've been wanting to go to the hairdressers for absolutely ages just for a small trim + he won't take me bc he doesn't want me to cut my hair + thinks I'm being silly BUT IT'S MY HAIR AND I WANT TO FRICKING DONATE IT.

- He makes me coffee every single morning before he goes to work, even though I don't like coffee + when I was angry once, I told him that I just tip it down the sink so he shouldn't bother but he still does. I recorded myself doing it once too + sent it to him as a video + he responded saying "okay" which just made me even angrier bc I don't know why but I wanted him to be angry too.

- I know that he can't make me dinner all the time bc he's always working but when I'm upset, I just don't take that into account + act like the entire world is against me + I'm going to starve + die. He still takes me to where I need to be provided he's not busy + stuff but I don't know why I'm behaving in such a terrible way.

- When he's at his house, I purposely ring him at, like, 4am in the morning even though I know he's busy the next day + start rambling about things that I want him to do for me just so he can get angry + tell me off.

- He gave me his credit card, incase I needed it for anything bc he's not always around + I've just been tipping everyone, everywhere for no reason. Like, I went to Dunelm mill today morning to buy a new bath mat + I tipped the cashier £80 bc she gave me a free plastic bag even though I think it was just bc I think she forgot to charge me. I also went bowling the other week + returned via taxi + the taxi driver dropped me right outside my house + I also tipped him £80 bc taxi drivers usually just drop me anywhere down my street.

I would like to stop.

So today, he basically came back from work early + he made me dinner so we all sat at the table + I was feeling angry again so I didn't eat any of it + instead started playing trashy, explicit music really really loud + he didn't say anything for the first two songs but then I was annoyed that he wasn't telling me off so I turned off Kesha + put in some Fetty wap stuff, I don't even know why bc I don't even like it myself + when he told me to put my headphones in, I don't know why but I just started shouting + told him that everything bad that had happened was all his fault + I kept repeating it + I basically couldn't stop + his eyes got really watery + he literally cried.

I don't know what to do.
    you just need a big hug :hugs:
    a bit of time out of it all, to relax a bit
    and show ur dad that u really didnt mean those things, because it really sounds like you dont mean it
    try and think of a good way to show this to make a really cool apology and make sure you're feeling a bit calmer
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ngl but I am a bit out of my league here but I hope some of what I said above makes sense, even if u dont use my advice
    at least, receive these hugs = :grouphugs: :jumphug:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    ST Note: please do not insult the OP or call them names, this isn't ok. They are asking for advice. If you do have advice to offer, that's fine. But please keep it friendly. Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Go do something like volunteering abroad in a poor country, so you start to be grateful for everything your parents have given you

ReputationRep:
    and say sorry now, take your dad out for a pizza. Put a smile on your face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)

I would like to stop.

I don't know what to do.
    I think both of you should go for counselling. That would really help you both to settle down your differences.
    Not everyone has a dad that takes great care of them. Be grateful that he is there because I'm sure he loves you so much.

If you don't want to go for counselling, just have a face to face conversation with him.
    By the time he cried, I bet he was really really hurt.
    Please don't make him cry ever again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I think you should try to undo everything and give back / restore things where possible, including the money.

I also hate to suggest it but I think you know what else you need to do regarding certain things.

ReputationRep:
    Lol wth? U need help

ReputationRep:
    You should apologise. You should realise how lucky you are to have parents. I lost one of my parents and it made me appreciate the time I have with people around me. The time you have with them is so precious so please make the most of the time you have with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    You should apologise. You should realise how lucky you are to have parents. I lost one of my parents and it made me appreciate the time I have with people around me. The time you have with them is so precious so please make the most of the time you have with them
    Gutted that I can't rep this post.

Couldn't agree more

ReputationRep:
    anon I think you need a therapist. You seem to have some underlying issues, and maybe a professional can help you work through it?

ReputationRep:
    I think counselling for you both would be beneficial.

But I think you really need to find the root course of your anger, it obviously doesn't come out of no where (it never really does tbh). Are you angry at your father for something he did to your mum? Perhaps your angry at yourself for something? I think you need to find out where these feelings are coming from, maybe counselling alone would help you with that.

I know everyone is saying appreciate your parents more, but I think there is more to your post than you just not appreciating them, I think there is a deep-rooted sadness/anger which causes you to act in this way. Everyone responds differently to certain feelings or emotions (or a lack there of) and you need to look within yourself to find what is causing you so much upset.

ReputationRep:
    Key bits that jump out at me:
    So, I've been deliberately behaving like such a ***** recently primarily bc I've been feeling upset
    but I don't know why I'm doing what I am.
    I was feeling angry again
    I would like to stop.

So, I get from this that you are upset about something - what? you need to figure this part out first of all. You seem to be deliberately baiting to get a reaction - why? It sounds like you could use some counselling, actually:
    http://www.youngminds.org.uk/for_par...n_young_people

Without wishing to sound dismissive, acting in such an extremely way because you're 'angry' is a sign that you haven't developed fully emotionally. Kids cry/get angry/have tantrums because they don't understand their emotions and how to express what they need, and this basically sounds like an extended version of that. You need to try and learn that when you feel angry, stop, figure out what you are upset about, what you need and how to resolve it. Easier said than done but you need to try.

Re. the credit card, please give it back to him until you've got a grip on things. You seem like you could very easily put him in very serious debt, which leads to bad credit rating, which leads to huge problems. Do the adult thing and recognise that you can stop this from being a temptation.

And adding to what others have said, I've lost a parent. 4 years down the line and I still cry myself to sleep sometimes because I feel guilty about various things. Whatever the hell you think is worth being angry at him for, isn't, and it damn well isn't worth damaging your relationship for.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Name:  tumblr_inline_mlk65fm48p1qz4rgp_zps861d4662.gif
Views: 222
Size:  96.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    No.

No.

Stop.

No it's not.

No.

No, you don't understand. - It's doing the opposite + I can't stop it. I just can't control how I behave anymore + I don't know why hence why I'm posting here + I know I shouldn't be posting here but. Literally, I didn't want to say it bc it'll make me sound crazy + I don't want to give people that opportunity but on my way to Dunelm Mill, I was laughing so hard for absolutely no reason + then for some reason, tears were just streaming down my face throughout + this has happened before but not to this extent + I don't know why I was laughing bc my surroundings weren't in any way humorous but I couldn't control it + this blonde 50-ish year old woman stopped me + asked what was wrong + I was just like:

I DON'T KNOW.

Bc I didn't actually know.

+ I have just forgotten where I was going with this but I wanted to say something.

+ I can't remember.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Bed. I'm going to bed.

ReputationRep:
    Can we close the thread please.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.