Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Everyone I know is trying to lose weight Watch

ReputationRep:
    I completely supoort you if you're trying to reach a personal goal or just achieve a general healthy life style but too many people in my life seem to be into self-body shaming not realising that it also makes other people (like me who may be bigger or a tad unhealthier) feel crap about themself. EVERYONE my age is doing this and I dont want to give in and do something just because I want to try to fit in.
    Sure I dont have the perfect body and could probablly lose some weight to look better but I am happy with the way I look and my balance of health. At least I was until every friend and their parents decided to comment about my weight or physical appareance this summer. It isn't even like i appear overweight. I am trying to be healthy without dieting or becoming obssesed with losing weight but it sucks that even my best friend is on this band wagon and (she used to be a similar size to me) has lost so much weight and is always excercising. I feel really alone in this. Advice?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by WannaBMedStudent)
    I completely supoort you if you're trying to reach a personal goal or just achieve a general healthy life style but too many people in my life seem to be into self-body shaming not realising that it also makes other people (like me who may be bigger or a tad unhealthier) feel crap about themself. EVERYONE my age is doing this and I dont want to give in and do something just because I want to try to fit in.
    Sure I dont have the perfect body and could probablly lose some weight to look better but I am happy with the way I look and my balance of health. At least I was until every friend and their parents decided to comment about my weight or physical appareance this summer. It isn't even like i appear overweight. I am trying to be healthy without dieting or becoming obssesed with losing weight but it sucks that even my best friend is on this band wagon and (she used to be a similar size to me) has lost so much weight and is always excercising. I feel really alone in this. Advice?
    It can be harder when as a teenager everyone seems so focused on appearance but just keep reminding yourself that you are healthy and that other peoples insecurities and theirs and not yours to be bothering you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks x
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It can be harder when as a teenager everyone seems so focused on appearance but just keep reminding yourself that you are healthy and that other peoples insecurities and theirs and not yours to be bothering you.

ReputationRep:
    Idk I feel people have the right to get healthy if they want that's a good thing but they shouldn't comment on your appearance ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Think about health, not weight.

My friends have all lost a lot of weight recently and have ribs and bones sticking out, their faces and eyes sunken in, their eyes look ill. My school sells snack pots that consist of a strawberry, two grapes and a chunk of melon and apparently that kept everybody full all day...

Sure, I'm obese. I eat more than I should. I'm trying to lose weight to fit into a healthy BMI range - if I was under weight I'd be trying to put some weight on. I exercise 5-6 times a week and as far as I'm concerned I'd rather be fat and fit than skinny and unfit.

If you're healthy don't worry too much about your weight, it'll sort itself out... There's an insane anorexia culture among young people and it's sad. Just eat the right foods and find a way to exercise that you like and you be rayyyyt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    Think about health, not weight.

My friends have all lost a lot of weight recently and have ribs and bones sticking out, their faces and eyes sunken in, their eyes look ill. My school sells snack pots that consist of a strawberry, two grapes and a chunk of melon and apparently that kept everybody full all day...

Sure, I'm obese. I eat more than I should. I'm trying to lose weight to fit into a healthy BMI range - if I was under weight I'd be trying to put some weight on. I exercise 5-6 times a week and as far as I'm concerned I'd rather be fat and fit than skinny and unfit.

If you're healthy don't worry too much about your weight, it'll sort itself out... There's an insane anorexia culture among young people and it's sad. Just eat the right foods and find a way to exercise that you like and you be rayyyyt
    Thanks- at least I'm not the only one trying to resist the pressure. Keep fit and healthy!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was the same lots of people on my facebook were losing weight like no tomorrow... Made me depressed for a few weeks then decided enough is a enough. Got myself signed up with a personal trainer in edinburgh at http://www.trilliumfitness.co.uk/

I am the type of person that can be left alone to work and study but when it comes to health, fitness and eating I am a complete disaster. I always go over the top when I exercise alone and end up with injuries that keep me away from exercising.

Can't agree more with 1010marina though! I was always thinking about the scales and the belly. These days I am more focusing on those little changes in my fitness and health.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.