Turn on thread page Beta

Antisocial People on Internet Forums watch

ReputationRep:
    i think - talking in an internet forum such as this, just takes away peoples inhibitons, and let them say what they really want, I guess thats the real difference to 'real conversations' but Im not saying this is true for everyone. And its alot better, cos u have to think about what ur saying, and not saying something for the sake of it. I mean this isnt really a conversations, their discussions, I think there is a difference - even if its a subtle one.

Again, forums like this lets you talk to diff people who you would not normally meet or talk to, again taking away that inhibtion!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by me!)
    Everyone uses msn, even if you don't think they would, they do
    I don't... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    either do i :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    And how much do you think you get out in comparison to before you started coming to this website?
    None before, none afterwards. Such is the way of life for us nerds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I don't either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Nerd)
    None before, none afterwards. Such is the way of life for us nerds.
    Yay, not just me.

ReputationRep:
    i still like talking!

ReputationRep:
    Basing my entire life around my laptop does leave me horribly overweight, and lacking in fluency in my speech. But on the other hand, I do feel I get exposed to some really intelligent/different people on here which is a good thing, I don't think I'd be half as intelligent as I am if I was restricted to the people in my area. I think it probably does make me a bit antisocial. Slowly, overtime I get less and less attached to the things people my age are attached to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    No offence, but if in what you call proper conversation you have to listen to "bores or subjects we don't care about" then maybe you should get more interesting friends? If I was listening to something I didn't care about, I'd stop listening. Same on here. So that point doesn't really apply to me.
    We do not always have a choice about who we must listen to at work or elsewhere. Often, the information people are trying to convey is important, their way of doing so is uninteresting.

1. There's a lot more information going across... to log a spoken conversation on a computer would mean losing so much information - you lose things like expressions, changes in tone etc. which leads to using things like and . Let's face it, these small images aren't as good as the real thing...
    True, but you can determine exactly what you want to say and say it plainly and clearly so there is no need for expression. It is a completely different way of communicating. The "information" given by facial expression posture etc- non-verbal language- is often irrelevant. Here we debate -or should debate- with the argument, not the person making it.

don't KNOW who you're talking to. To me, you could be a 10 year old girl with no legs or a convicted paedophile from Alaska.
    You cannot know- or even KNOW- who you are talking to in real life. You may think you know a lot about them, but they may still astonish you.

people say things they would never say in real life on an internet forum. It's not a true reflection of what a person is like, because there is a lack of consequences on here. You can act funny, annoying, stupid, arrogant or anything for some entertainment to see how people react because there's nothing they can do once you log off. In real life, hardly anyone does this because they care a lot more about who they're talking to.
    Perhaps people reveal more about themselves here, for those very reasons.

I keep saying real life because that's what it is. This forum is a simulation of real life, a substitute.
    It is neither a simulation nor a substitute for real life, but part of it.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.