Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Need to write my EPQ this summer and was hoping for general tips? Do i write it like a general essay format, really formal or casual and formal? Divide into sections or not? Does anybody have an epq that has been marked and I could read for tips on structure? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing the EPQ with AQA, you can either format it as a 5000 word essay, or as a 1000 word essay plus an 'artefact', e.g. a sculpture, a play, a piece of music etc. Do you know which exam board you'll be doing it with? If it's AQA then I can go into much more detail as I did mine with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    If you're doing the EPQ with AQA, you can either format it as a 5000 word essay, or as a 1000 word essay plus an 'artefact', e.g. a sculpture, a play, a piece of music etc. Do you know which exam board you'll be doing it with? If it's AQA then I can go into much more detail as I did mine with them
    I have only just seen this, yes it is AQA do you have any tips for the style of writing an epq and any other tips would be great thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloxx)
    I have only just seen this, yes it is AQA do you have any tips for the style of writing an epq and any other tips would be great thank you!!
    Hey cloxx, no worries!

My best EPQ tips are:
    • Try to choose a topic for which there is an element of argument, i.e. come up with a title question for which you can present arguments in the essay and come to a conclusion at the end. Titles starting with ‘To what extent’ or ‘How far can’ are usually good choices.
    • You can then structure your essay by giving a brief overview of the issue (introduction), describing and explaining all the points/arguments for and against each side (main essay), giving a comparison of the arguments, then a conclusion which answers the title question. I hope that made sense!
    • Make sure you reference all of your quotes and images, diagrams etc properly, and use at least 3 sources of information, e.g. a book, a website and a TV programme - you get marks for doing this! Also make a note of the date that you used each source and include them in square brackets after the corresponding source in the bibliography.
    • Fill in the Log Book as thoroughly as you can, because (annoyingly) the majority of the marks come from this, not the essay itself. Obviously try to make your essay as good as possible too! But keep in mind that the Log Book is what generates most of the marks.
    • When you do your presentation at the end of the project, make sure you have slides covering the following: why you chose to do the EPQ, why you chose your title, resources you used, what you found out, your conclusion, any difficulties you encountered, the benefits of doing the EPQ, what you'd do differently if you did the EPQ again, whether or not you'd recommend the EPQ to others and why. Also make sure you give the audience the opportunity to ask questions at the end, to meet the criteria of an 'interactive element'.
    • Also, write the essay WHILE you are doing your research, not afterwards. It's easier and quicker to spot whether you're running out of stuff to write about if you write the essay while you're researching. If you do all your research beforehand, you may run out of time to tweak your title to provide more scope etc, especially if you start the essay late!
    I can also email you my EPQ (the essay part) so that you can see what the final essay might look like? I trust you wouldn't plagiarise it as I doubt you're doing a similar topic
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    I can also email you my EPQ (the essay part) so that you can see what the final essay might look like? I trust you wouldn't plagiarise it as I doubt you're doing a similar topic
    Could you email me your EPQ as well please? I'm doing an EPQ based on water quality so it's probably not the same topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    Could you email me your EPQ as well please? I'm doing an EPQ based on water quality so it's probably not the same topic
    Of course, if you can send me your email address in a private message on here that'd be great

ReputationRep:
    Hi just got an A* in my EPQ so hoping I can be of some help!!

My best advice is to make sure you keep up to date with your production log: don't let it pile up all at once, you won't manage! also look at a* examples of production logs online and emulate the style they are written in.

Make sure you reference PROPERLY !!!!! it makes whole entire grades difference! if you don't know how to, PM me or ask your teachers /supervisors.

For your presentation you need to be confident, prepared with questions and answers, and make it interesting!

keep your essay title simple, but on a topic that's broad enough to give you scope to write, but not too broad like 'nature vs nurture' as you cannot compact that issue into 5,000. For example, mine was 'Was Abraham Lincoln's decision to issue the emancipation proclamation for humanitarian reasons, or as a military tactic to win the American civil war?' there's two clear arguments, and copious amount of evidence for this debate over the last 200 years or so.

Also use books! you need to demonstrate you are utilising a wide variety of sources !

And finally listen to your supervisor, although their continual nagging for re-draft after re-draft gets annoying they want what is best for you.

If you need anymore help let me know !!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.