Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does a particular claim to oppression form an integral part of all political stances? watch

ReputationRep:
    A common ammo used by some against the so-called "regressive left" is that they're too preoccupied with playing the victim, but those critics are blissfully ignorant of the hypocrisy at play there
    The critics, the right (or more specifically, the "alt-right") are themselves playing victims, though a different kind of victim- the right claims oppression of speech and ideas, the left claims oppression of identity.
    Do you think this is accurate?

ReputationRep:
    The Alt-Right are just Regressive Leftists with Happy Merchant memes. Classical Liberals and Libertarians promote unqualified freedom of speech, assembly, whatever. The only people who view the world through the lens of oppressor/oppressed are Marxists. I, and most people, reject Marxism.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that having any political argument at all necessitates a position of victimhood, but trying to make out that you have been wronged/put in a difficult position is helpful to your cause.

This can be seen everywhere from fundamentalists in the Bible Belt shouting about their "religious freedom" to the Tories blaming New Labour for putting them in a difficult starting spot when they first came to power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    The Alt-Right are just Regressive Leftists with Happy Merchant memes. Classical Liberals and Libertarians promote unqualified freedom of speech, assembly, whatever. The only people who view the world through the lens of oppressor/oppressed are Marxists. I, and most people, reject Marxism.
    The right just uses a different set of words to describe the same phenomenon
    Any distaste shown towards political correctness is ultimately a claim to oppression of speech and ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    The right just uses a different set of words to describe the same phenomenon
    Any distaste shown towards political correctness is ultimately a claim to oppression of speech and ideas
    I guess, although I do think you're playing fast and loose with the word "oppression". I have always took it as implied that oppression regarded the subjugation of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    I guess, although I do think you're playing fast and loose with the word "oppression". I have always took it as implied that oppression regarded the subjugation of people.
    And described here is subjugation of people, by proxy of their speech and ideas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    And described here is subjugation of people, by proxy of their speech and ideas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Intangible though. It's not Soviet oppression, or even the sort of oppression allegedly faced by African-Americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Intangible though. It's not Soviet oppression, or even the sort of oppression allegedly faced by African-Americans.
    It's no more intangible than people being subjugated by proxy of their [collective] identity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    It's no more intangible than people being subjugated by proxy of their [collective] identity
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.
    I mean that collective identity is as seperate from an individual as are ideas present in speech- they both have an intangibilty. Both metaphysical ghosts.
    ...I'm think I'm actually too tired to explain what I mean clearly ha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I mean that collective identity is as seperate from an individual as are ideas present in speech- they both have an intangibilty. Both metaphysical ghosts.
    ...I'm think I'm actually too tired to explain what I mean clearly ha
    I think I'm too tired to interperet too. I used to be much better at staying awake - it isnt even 2 yet.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.