Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you enter your ethnicity in UCAS application? Watch

• View Poll Results: If you did get an offer, did you fill in the "ethnicity " section?
    Yes
    100.00%
    No
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Finished my AS examinations in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics this during exam season.
    I am pretty sure i got the A grades in Further Maths and Maths. Really hoping to study a maths degree at uni.
    I know that I am ahead of my time but I wanted to know if any of who A2 students filled in the "ethnic background " section of your UCAS application. If so do you think it affected your chances of an offer from the unis you applied to. I also want to know whether people didn't fill in that section but still got offer from their uni choices. Finally would it be possible for people to say which unis they got offers from. *Im really curious guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    Finished my AS examinations in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics this during exam season.
    I am pretty sure i got the A grades in Further Maths and Maths. Really hoping to study a maths degree at uni.
    I know that I am ahead of my time but I wanted to know if any of who A2 students filled in the "ethnic background " section of your UCAS application. If so do you think it affected your chances of an offer from the unis you applied to. I also want to know whether people didn't fill in that section but still got offer from their uni choices. Finally would it be possible for people to say which unis they got offers from. *Im really curious guys
    I believe the Uni's aren't able to see your selections, even if you do fill in your ethnicity. I think that section is for statistics, or something. Did it not say that on the page?

ReputationRep:
    The Unis DO NOT see this info !
    So it cannot have any influence at all on you getting/not getting an offer.

Its entirely for data-gathering by UCAS - ie. numbers applying to Uni. That is ALL.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    As above it has no bearing on your application because the universities see it afterwards.

Sensitive personal information
    To support the application process, 'sensitive personal data', as defined in the Data Protection Act 1998, may be collected and shared with the universities and colleges to whom you apply.
    • To assist universities and colleges in monitoring their compliance with the Equality Act 2010, we collect details of your ethnicity and give you the option to tell us your sexual orientation, gender identity and religious belief. This information is provided to your chosen university or college after you have secured a place or at the end of the application cycle.
    Source

I am a straight mixed White/Asian male who was accepted at Bath for maths and am now going into my third year, but the firstfew details do not matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    As above it has no bearing on your application because the universities see it afterwards.

Source

I am a straight mixed White/Asian male who was accepted at Bath for maths and am now going into my third year, but the first two details do not matter.
    Thank you for the information

ReputationRep:
    The Unis do not see info about ethnicity for ANY applicant at any stage in the application process.

Once you enrol at a Uni, you are asked about your ethnicity, sexuality, any disability, and a whole load of other stuff - its up to you if you give this info or 'prefer not to answer'. No Uni is going to use info about an individual student in any discriminatory way - its purely for statistical purposes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.