Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to apply in September for Ancient Near Eastern Studies at SOAS, on the website it says that A level language is preferred and the typical offer is ABB-AAA. The offer I will be able to do however I don't do A level language and my GCSE grade is C in French, although apart from that I have straight A's and A* stars- I was wondering if anybody knows anything about how lenient they are with the languages as this is my dream course and university to study it at! Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjinfjdlinmygiu)
    I am looking to apply in September for Ancient Near Eastern Studies at SOAS, on the website it says that A level language is preferred and the typical offer is ABB-AAA. The offer I will be able to do however I don't do A level language and my GCSE grade is C in French, although apart from that I have straight A's and A* stars- I was wondering if anybody knows anything about how lenient they are with the languages as this is my dream course and university to study it at! Thanks in advance
    You are best asking them directly themselves, but as a general rule, if a university goes to the trouble of specifying qualifications they particularly favour, then that is what they are likely to want.

ReputationRep:
    As CLR says... Given that learning a language (Akkadian) is compulsory and seems to comprise about 25% of your degree, SOAS might be a bit doubtful about your ability in that area. Only they will be able to tell you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I agree with CLR, you really should speak to the university admissions tutor about this.

That said, I believe that SOAS can be fairly flexible when it comes to language requirements, so I think you should definitely apply if you're interested in this degree. 'Preferred' means just that, it isn't a requirement. Nobody learns Akkadian at school so in that respect you won't be behind anyone else, SOAS just wants to be sure that you know how to learn a language. I think it would be a good idea to do a language course over the next year, or even redoing your French GCSE to get a better grade. If you can show that you are able to independently learn languages then it won't matter if you don't have a language A level.

What do you think? SOAS Student Helper

ReputationRep:
    Agree with both the above. You need to demonstrate the ability to learn a language, and that is easiest done by having standard qualifications in one at the level they require. If you have any alternative ways of showing this skill, then contacting SOAS and discussing this with them is the way forward, but if not, you're going to have to find ways of achieving what they really want. Their caveat about A level language being 'preferred' is to allow them to consider non-standard school-leaving applicants with alternative ways of providing them what they want, e.g. mature students with appropriate experience. As you are a school leaver, they are likely to be much less flexible.

ReputationRep:
    A level language or equivalent so therefore if you are taking Korean you can also use your TOPIK exam japanese JLPT Chinese - whatever exam they have. Practically any proof you are able to learn a language

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.