Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I’ve just finished my 3rd year in a maths MSci at King’s College London and am worried that I have made the wrong decision by not applying to another university.

The teaching quality hasn’t been great - especially in my 3rd year - and my friends have left at the end of their BSc. I didn’t apply to other universities because I was worried about the interview process because of my Asperger’s and was going through speech therapy at the time. Students on my course did obtain places at other universities, such as Oxford and the LSE, and having achieved the highest score in the year - 89% - I’m worried that I have wasted these potential opportunities and doubted myself too much. I was also concerned about funding - one benefit of my current course is that the 4th year is treated as part of my undergraduate degree so I’m eligible for student funding - is it possible to get similar funding for a master's? I feel like I’m playing it too safe, is it possible to take a year out and apply for a master’s next year, or will this disadvantage me when applying or in regards to funding?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myoshi)
    Hi everyone,

I’ve just finished my 3rd year in a maths MSci at King’s College London and am worried that I have made the wrong decision by not applying to another university.

The teaching quality hasn’t been great - especially in my 3rd year - and my friends have left at the end of their BSc. I didn’t apply to other universities because I was worried about the interview process because of my Asperger’s and was going through speech therapy at the time. Students on my course did obtain places at other universities, such as Oxford and the LSE, and having achieved the highest score in the year - 89% - I’m worried that I have wasted these potential opportunities and doubted myself too much. I was also concerned about funding - one benefit of my current course is that the 4th year is treated as part of my undergraduate degree so I’m eligible for student funding - is it possible to get similar funding for a master's? I feel like I’m playing it too safe, is it possible to take a year out and apply for a master’s next year, or will this disadvantage me when applying or in regards to funding?

Thank you.
    In my opinion you did very well going for a MSci that is included as a undergraduate degree. The current funding for a MSc is 10k postgraduate loan and you have to use that to pay your degree and also for living expenses. I don't know your financial situation but if you rely on nobody 10k for a course and living expenses is nothing at all. With your grades and if you keep it up in your last year, you will do just fine. Also remember, if you do a MSc you cannot apply for postgraduate funding, therefore you would have to fund it yourself or through an employer.
    if i was given the choice you had I would have done exactly like you did so cheer up and keep up the good work, you will be fine regardless of what uni you graduated with with those academic results.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you take a year out before your 4th year. Find a job... Become a private tutor for a year and save some money...
    Use that year to put together the best application possible for the universities you so desire.

If you don't try, you'll never know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.