The Student Room Group

Ideas for Plays

I'm part of a student theatre company in school, but I'm thinking of directing a play for the company to do in the first term. Normally our drama teacher directs them but she won't be there in the first term as she'll be on maternity leave. I'd like to direct as I've never done it before but I need some ideas for plays that would be good to do. Do you have any ideas?
Something like A View from the Bridge, by Arthur Miller...that would be quite good I think. Anything that allows for creativity really.
How bigger cast do u have/ want to need? Because if u need loads and loads of parts, that might change ur choice of play!
x
Reply 3
At the moment there are 6 boys and 5 girls including myself (as we've recently lost 4 girls who are going to uni this year). But casting can be flexible... any ideas?
Reply 4
Anyone?
liss31d
Anyone?

I'm probably not the best person to advise on choosing a play... but any more specific things you're into? Happy? Sad? Shakespeare? Serious? Funny? Dry? What kinds of plays does your school normally do?
Reply 6
Six boys and five girls is a fairly large cast for a first time director (I have never directed more than three actors myself.) But that gives you some freedom. I personaly would love to Doctor Faustus, but I have fewer actors than you do.
Reply 7
I just directed a play at school, (went very well, everyone thought it was pretty damn good, even the usually critical people, anyway) and I did Hayfever by Noel Coward.
Cast of 5 boys and 6 girls. It's about 90minutes long and pretty easy to stage if you've got some furniture. I'd recommend that or maybe a Pinter if you like his stuff, can't say I do though.
Depends on what style you're all comfortable with.

If you can all sing, you could look at musical theatre pieces, or if you like naturalism a play by someone like Ibsen, for example, would be good. Hedda Gabler is by Ibsen and is one of the greatest naturalistic pieces ever in my opinion. If you prefer surrealism/symbolism you could look at Lorca maybe - Yerma or Blood Wedding can both be done well with a relatively small cast.

There are so many plays out there, maybe you should ask people which style they'd prefer?
Reply 9
I directed a play and it turned out really well, why don't you do a play about a school where thre head is murdered and it turns out to be the janitor.
Reply 10
hopstar
I directed a play and it turned out really well, why don't you do a play about a school where thre head is murdered and it turns out to be the janitor.

Good advise. Just a shame it's a year and a half too late.
I think wind In the willows or les miserables

Quick Reply

Latest