Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel like I'm too good at ignoring my feelings most of the time. I'm incredibly anxious about going to university but I feel like I can ignore it almost all the time, unless someone specifically brings it up. I'm like this with other things too.

It sounds good on the face of it, since I'm not constantly anxious about things, but it means that things never get dealt with. I haven't been to any university open days because I just ignored how anxious I am about going to/not getting in to uni. I want my mum to phone about me getting re-referred to CAMHS, but I've just ignored it for months. I need extracurricular activities to put on my ucas form but I haven't done any.

Its not like I don't care enough about it to do anything, I'm just really scared and it's like my default setting is to just run away and pretend it isn't happening, which I know is really bad for me in the long run. Its just so hard and so scary to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel like I'm too good at ignoring my feelings most of the time. I'm incredibly anxious about going to university but I feel like I can ignore it almost all the time, unless someone specifically brings it up. I'm like this with other things too.

It sounds good on the face of it, since I'm not constantly anxious about things, but it means that things never get dealt with. I haven't been to any university open days because I just ignored how anxious I am about going to/not getting in to uni. I want my mum to phone about me getting re-referred to CAMHS, but I've just ignored it for months. I need extracurricular activities to put on my ucas form but I haven't done any.

Its not like I don't care enough about it to do anything, I'm just really scared and it's like my default setting is to just run away and pretend it isn't happening, which I know is really bad for me in the long run. Its just so hard and so scary to do anything.
    Hi there!
    I am sorry you are struggling so much and I just wanted to tell you something my GP said to me when it first became apparent I was struggling with MH. He said, "make your mountains into molehills".
    It has helped me a lot. I don't know much about Uni, despite being 18, I couldn't go to college due to MH. I found slowly building up to things, planning them out and having someone to support me through it helped. Chipping away at something that needs to be done etc..
    I know it is so hard to get professional help, it took me a while to approach my GP who then referred me on, but once I walked out of the appt, after I had told him most of what I was struggling with, I felt nervous but mainly that a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders.. As they say a problem shared is a problem halved.
    You can do this! It will take time but you can totally do it.
    Bee

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.