UCL Modern Languages

Watch this thread
Stringer8ell
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I'm hoping to apply to UCL for languages next year, with the intention of studying Spanish and Russian. Firstly, it says on the UCL website that the entry requirements are AAB at A2; are these the minimum grades required, with the average successful applicant getting straight As or A*s? Also, what contents does the course have? I am not particularly fond of literature, and would much prefer to study historical or political modules if given the chance, and for this reason, are the modules you study at your discretion, or are there compulsory ones?

Thanks a lot.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stringer8ell)
Hi, I'm hoping to apply to UCL for languages next year, with the intention of studying Spanish and Russian. Firstly, it says on the UCL website that the entry requirements are AAB at A2; are these the minimum grades required, with the average successful applicant getting straight As or A*s? Also, what contents does the course have? I am not particularly fond of literature, and would much prefer to study historical or political modules if given the chance, and for this reason, are the modules you study at your discretion, or are there compulsory ones?

Thanks a lot.
The requirements stated are the minimum requirements, but that does not mean your chances of admission are less than someone who is predicted higher grades. If you're predicated AAB and you're interested in the course, apply.

UCL degrees are made up of 4 course units (cu) in each year, all modules will either be 0.5cu or 1.0cu. Half of these course units will be in French and half in Russian. You can see the degree structure and a list of French modules here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/selcs/prospect...rench-ssees-ba You can see a list of Russian / SSEES Language and Culture modules here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ssees/undergraduate-courses

You have to do a little bit of French literature in your first year. There will likely be some compulsory modules in the Russian half of your degree too, phone the SSEES admissions tutor and ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
24.24%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (10)
30.3%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
6.06%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
9.09%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
18.18%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
6.06%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads