The Student Room Group

What route do I take to become a Primary school teacher?

So, I initially thought I'd do a BA (Hons) Education degree for 3 years, then a PGCE to gain my QTS (qualified teacher status) for a year. Now though, I'm debating it and so I want to know what route you suggest for me to do to get the best degree outcome? Thank you!
Original post by flowerlu
So, I initially thought I'd do a BA (Hons) Education degree for 3 years, then a PGCE to gain my QTS (qualified teacher status) for a year. Now though, I'm debating it and so I want to know what route you suggest for me to do to get the best degree outcome? Thank you!

This isn't something anyone else can decide for you - which route is best depends entirely on what suits your circumstances and preferences best.
Original post by flowerlu

Hi,

I personally studied the BA (Hons) Education course for a year before switching to the BA (Hons) Primary Education course. I personally found the Education course quite boring compared to Primary Education as I really wanted to get stuck in at uni. However, I should tell you that the Primary Education course is so much more intrusive and testing - many people on our course got stressed and moved to the education course. Personally, I felt I grew more as a person and became a better teacher from the placements that came with the Primary Education route.
On the other hand, the education option is better if you want to experience university and be able to work when you are there as you have a lot less time in lectures.

Then again you also have the option to study any subject and go for a PGCE afterwards, but I do know that everyone who applied for PGCE on the education course were successful compared to people who studied History (for example).

Really, it's up to you if you're 100% committed to being a primary teacher. Many people say that if you want a background on education but not necessarily in the teaching profession (such as an education officer at a museum) then you should go for the BA (Hons) Education route but I suppose doing Primary Education with QTS wouldn't hinder your options to do that either.

Hope that helped :smile:*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending