Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The uk's political parties seem to be either really right wing or really left wing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    At the last general election, I found myself highly unsure on who to vote for, friends and family alike were sprouting things on social media on how you "shouldn't vote this party!, they're racist" and "voting this party means you're a lefty moron!"
    Since then I've seen opinions sprouted from said people change from political parties themselves to the EU referendum. Still this caused a huge difference of opinion in people.anyway, from what I can think of...

Left:Labour
    Green
    SNP
    Lib Dems
    Plaid Cymru

Right:
    Cons
    UKIP
    BNP

Anyway my general question is, how far right wing and how far left wing would you pose these parties? I'm literally trying to find a party that suits me

ReputationRep:
    Well to be fair it is more the supporters there who are going to extremes.

I hear loads of different opinions on this. Some people say that there's an overall shift to the right and that Labour aren't left wing at all. Some say there's an overall shift to the left and that Conservatives aren't right wing at all. Many say there's a large distinction between Labour and Conservatives, some say that Labour are mostly "Tory Lite". Best to ignore the labels of left and right and look at what policies appeal to you.

ReputationRep:
    do the bnp still exist? the tories are not that right wing

ReputationRep:
    You could always try something like this to give you an idea of which party may be best for you:

https://uk.isidewith.com › political-quiz

Do take it with a pinch of salt though, some of the questions are somewhat loaded. After you've found which parties to appeal to you the most, have a read of some of their manifestos/policies. Just be aware that what parties say they're going to do & what they actually do can be slightly (sometimes very) different.

ReputationRep:
    Every party in the country is left leaning (besides UKIP). The BNP and EDL are dead and the Tory's aren't conservative in the slightest.

Genuine conservatism is a husk in the UK unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    They are not 'really' Left/Right overall and/or in the truest definition but they all have members (MPs or supporters) with more extreme views who have aligned themselves with them.

Corbyn is definitely tacking HMS Labour hard to port so I would not board that ship if I was you.

Lefties/liberals (both upper and lower case L) will say the Tories are right wing but they are not.

(Original post by R0ckTillWeDr0p)
    Anyway my general question is, how far right wing and how far left wing would you pose these parties? I'm literally trying to find a party that suits me
    Left/right labels are a pretty silly way of voting for what you believe in.

The labels vary by country (e.g. Democrats in the US are further 'right' than the Conservatives)

The labels change through time (the left wing parties of old would have hated globalisation and immigration, because they cared about the local workers, and honestly I think would be called far-right by the media and politicians of today)

Horseshoe theory (communism is closer to fascism than the centre)

The definitions are different between different people (the media labels anyone who is against immigration as "far-right", e.g. the Front National, who some would argue are left-wing)

ReputationRep:
    I get you all, fair point, anywho I did that test and got UKIP and Cons aha

ReputationRep:
    At the last general election, I found myself highly unsure on who to vote for, friends and family alike were sprouting things on social media on how you "shouldn't vote this party!, they're racist" and "voting this party means you're a lefty moron!"
    Since then I've seen opinions sprouted from said people change from political parties themselves to the EU referendum. Still this caused a huge difference of opinion in people.anyway, from what I can think of...

Green
    SNP
    Lib Dems
    Plaid Cymru

Right:
    Cons
    UKIP
    BNP

People who resort to slinging ad hominen insults like "they're racist" or "loony lefties" probably have very little understanding and are not worth listening to.

As 13 1 20 8 42 said, it's probably best to ignore labels like left and right and just decide which party has the policies you most agree with. It's interesting that you place Lib Dem as left; they thrown in token gestures to the left with policies like no/low tuition fees yet they follow right wing economic policy which means they would be unable to afford it. Which is why when they got into bed with the conservatives, they ditched those sort of lefty ideas. Anyway, to try and give you at least some idea, this is how I would place the major parties economically:

Left wing: Greens
    Centre-left: SNP/Plaid Crymu
    Centre: Labour (Corbyn is trying to make them centre-left, but his MPs are doing everything to stop it)
    Centre-right: Lib Dems
    Right wing: Conservatives/UKIP.

The label of far right for parties like UKIP and BNP is an odd one and simply based on their anti-immigration policies. UKIP are pretty much the same as the conservatives economically, and BNP were basically centrist when they existed.

ReputationRep:
    What about Lib Dems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    Every party in the country is left leaning (besides UKIP). The BNP and EDL are dead and the Tory's aren't conservative in the slightest.

Genuine conservatism is a husk in the UK unfortunately.
    The Conservatives are not left leaning at all.

ReputationRep:
    Conservatives = cuckservatives

ReputationRep:

Green
    SNP
    Lib Dems
    Plaid Cymru

Right:
    Cons
    UKIP
    BNP

Exactly!!
    What we need is something in the far right like most European countries
    (Except Sweden of course)

ReputationRep:
    Labour and Tories are centrists (but just to the left and right of the centre respectively). It's how both parties have gotten elected recently. Labour used to focused on the votes of labour groups (hence their popularity in the North) and generally looking out for workers, but this got them nowhere, so the leadership moved to the centre and started ignoring their heartland (which they just realised was a bad idea when the North overwhelmingly voted leave).

The tories did the stereotypical right wing thing (generally dicking over the poor to extremes) and got the label "The Nasty Party", then after being steamrollered by New Labour (that Thatcher apparently said was her greatest achievement). Sane members of the party like Michael Howard and David Cameron inched it to the left to make their party more palatable.

Culminating in the 2015 election where most people couldn't discern an actual difference between the two parties.

One of the big differences is how they treat their leaders. The tories are ruthless (almost to a fault) in getting rid of leaders that don't win. Michael Howard had no chance of beating Blair in the 2005 election but he left the party in a better position than he found it, when he was kicked out for losing the election (admittedly it is regarded that he didn't actually want to be PM).

Labour by comparison take ages to get rid of bad leaders as evidenced by the disaster of Corbyn controlling his MPs. Corbyn despite what people say is not "far left" he is just "left" and to his credit engages with voters and is honest, he is however pretty much unelectable as PM. Lamentably his MPs are incompetent at ousting him (I say this not as a labour voter but as someone who wants a sensible opposition in parliament).

ReputationRep:
    My take on the Left leaning parties mentioned:

The Lib Dems are basically Labour without its loony wing.

The Greens are basically Labour's loony wing but without the aggressiveness/hypocrisy of (the supposedly tolerant) Momentum and more fanatical about the environment.

The SNP and Plaid are a home for left leaning people in their respective countries who are ****ed off with the Labour Party and/or want independence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    The Conservatives are not left leaning at all.
    They are pro-EU, pro green energy, pro mass immigration, pro homosexual marriage, egalitarian.

To label the Tory's as genuinely conservative is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    They are pro-EU, pro green energy, pro mass immigration, pro homosexual marriage, egalitarian.

Just out of interest, which sort of Conservatism do you think is the purest or most true to its origins? Thatcherism or One nation conservatism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redmonds)
    Just out of interest, which sort of Conservatism do you think is the purest or most true to its origins? Thatcherism or One nation conservatism?
    I believe that pre-WW2 conservatism was its most genuine form. A much bigger focus was placed on tradition, religion, authority and morality. After the loss of Empire and from the 60s onwards it became rather lost. Thatcher has probably come the closest since then.

The last Tory Prime Minister himself confessed to wanting to be the 'Heir to Blair', further proving that the Tory party has lost its way.

ReputationRep:

Green
    SNP
    Lib Dems
    Plaid Cymru

Right:
    Cons
    UKIP
    BNP

https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz

Extreme, mild, center-mild
    Green : extreme left
    Labour : mild left (heading to extreme)
    SNP: extreme
    Plaid Cymru : left

Li dems : centrist

Conservatives : center- mild heading to mild

UKIP mild heading to extreme (may change depending on who wins leadership)

ReputationRep:

The EU is a right wing capitalist creation - removing regulations to allow people and goods to move freely. And opposition to or support of it is not a left vs right wing issue.

Every sensible political party is in favour of green energy and taking action on climate change. Which is also not a left vs right political debate, despite the best attempts of climate change deniers to turn it into one.

Gay marriage is something not many people care about that strongly. By the way, a majority of Conservative MPs who voted voted against it.

And, given Conservatives love to talk about individual liberty and freedom of choice, surely true Conservatives would either support gay marriage or not care about it? After all, preventing gay people from enjoying the same marriage rights as straight people could be seen as an unnecessary intrusion into their personal life by the state.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.