Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’ve just finished my GCSEs and I am about to do my A Levels, after which I hope to do PPE at OxfordOn the Oxford website, it says that maths is not a required subject to study in order to apply, however it does say that many successful applicants have completed mathematics up to AS Level or A2.I sat my maths GCSE in November and achieved an A* and then went on to study for an Additional Mathematics qualification which I sat in the summer (and I am pretty confident that I have passed, hopefully gained a merit As I don’t wish to continue doing mathematics at A Level (I’ve chosen French, German, History and Government & Politics), would my A* at GCSE and pass or merit in Additional Mathematics be sufficient to stand a chance against other applicants?There’s always an opportunity to do an AS in Maths, although I don’t really want to do 5 AS levels and 4/5 A2s but it’s always a route to go down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamhill3)
    I’ve just finished my GCSEs and I am about to do my A Levels, after which I hope to do PPE at OxfordOn the Oxford website, it says that maths is not a required subject to study in order to apply, however it does say that many successful applicants have completed mathematics up to AS Level or A2.I sat my maths GCSE in November and achieved an A* and then went on to study for an Additional Mathematics qualification which I sat in the summer (and I am pretty confident that I have passed, hopefully gained a merit As I don’t wish to continue doing mathematics at A Level (I’ve chosen French, German, History and Government & Politics), would my A* at GCSE and pass or merit in Additional Mathematics be sufficient to stand a chance against other applicants?There’s always an opportunity to do an AS in Maths, although I don’t really want to do 5 AS levels and 4/5 A2s but it’s always a route to go down.
    You're asking whether your GCSE maths will hold up to AS level maths? No. AS maths a good subject to take especially for PPE, while not required it's nice to have for the economics part. You could drop one of your language subjects in place for maths...

ReputationRep:
    I’m just asking that as AS level maths isn’t necessary, will it matter that I don’t have it and will it benefit (but not make me equal) me that I have an A* in GCSE maths and an additional maths qualification?

Also, unfortunately, I won’t be able to drop one of the languages as they’ve both gone to the setting where they go straight to A2 (Is it called linear? I can’t remember)

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine with just GCSE Maths.

Probably the reason a lot of successful applicants have A-level Maths is because a lot of people who are doing Maths at A-level want to go into something Economics-y naturally.

ReputationRep:
    90% of the people who do PPE at Oxford did Maths a level so I highly recommend you do it! It is also very useful if you intend to do well in your degree, and AS maths is really not that hard

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.