Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been looking for abour 8 months but nothing, got 3 references but never any interviews... how do I get a job as soon as possible? (Part time for students)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You just have to keep applying. There is no easy way (unless you know people).

My experience: took 4 years and hundreds of applications and dozens of interviews to get my first part time job.

ReputationRep:
    Applying for as many jobs as possible is key. Some people find their first part-time job with their first app, and some take hundreds. Persistence is vital. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Okay for almost a years i tried to get a job, but i wasnt really really trying, i got rejected at a lot of places, got interviews at many and i just didn't get the job, and at some stage there is honestly no jobs left, unless you want to spend 2 hours to find a job that is almost 2 hours away and would just be a waste of time. Then came the summer holiday last year, i must have applied to 25 jobs within a week, retail and service jobs mainly, after almost a years of rejection, i kind of improved my skills but not greatly. I got a interview, firstly i came late, since it wasnt in the place i thought it was, so i was already thinking i lost it, but luckily it was with another manager and they have no idea i was late, after a really cool interview, where i was honest, my previous attempt of getting a job i lied a lot... and i realized that doesnt work. I got a job, they job started a month after i got it, so in the mean time i must have went to 7 other interviews, i even went to the same company different branch and was rejected.. got rejected at all 7 as usuall so my main point is it really is russian roulette an it no where near as easy as you would think, then again my sister got both the jobs she applied to on the first go. You also have to put a lot of effort into it,and you should have applied well before now and teh summer holidays, since now all the 16-17 year olds are out, you should have applied before may really to get ahead of the 18 year olds and some uni students. keep trying and know when to give up, and try again in a few months and keep trying. Try to apply for jobs when no one else is/ uncommon times to apply for jobs, like November.

lastly if your a Guy, im gonna be honest here after working retail a year, i can say say without a doubt guys get hired a lot less, in crappy part time jobs, ive seen 16 year old girls with no experience getting jobs over 20 year olds doing business management degrees, and a lot more. there some good reasons for this i do have to say but thats the hard truth.

best of luck and keep trying, i must have applied to 50 jobs got rejected at 15 before i got my first and it took a year just to get one, with a decent amount of effort.

ReputationRep:
    It took me a year to get my first part time job. My first part time job was at the Royal Bank of Scotland. You just need to keep trying, sorry there's no other way. Do as much work experience as you can to improve your skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Hi, I've been looking for abour 8 months but nothing, got 3 references but never any interviews... how do I get a job as soon as possible? (Part time for students)
    I think its important that if theres an opportunity to apply online you take it. Handing CVs into shops usually gets you nowhere due to the shop potentially being busy and the CV just being popped into a drawer with the intention of looking at it later. Online applications get viewed quickly and if they are interested they will simply call you!

Its important that you have the best CV possible, too. If youre applying for a range of different jobs, alter your CV to suit each area of work. Eg for retail make sure you emphasise your teamwork and time management skills. For waiting, emphasise your customer service and people skills.

Employers look for someone that they feel would easily fit into the team that they already have! X

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.