samanthayates98
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I would like to do my EPQ on hydrothermal vents. I have lots of ideas what to write about but I think it is all too much but I'm not sure how to narrow it down into a title. I'm interested in the chemistry of the gas and fluid produced by the vent and the elements in the surrounding sediment. There are other sub topics I'm thinking of doing but I have no idea how to put these into a working title ahh! Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That sounds like a really interesting topic, Samantha! The highest-scoring EPQs (with AQA at least!) tend to have an element of argument in them, for example the title may begin with 'How far can' or 'To what extent'. Therefore, it may be a good idea to try and come up with a title for which you can argue for and against, or otherwise bring in arguments into the essay and come to a conclusion at the end.

The first thing I thought of was investigating the feasibility of mining the metals and minerals produced by underwater hydrothermal vents, for example. You can also incorporate several topics of interest into the essay under that title, such as the chemistry of the surrounding sediment like you mentioned, which not only allows you to research more of the topics that interest you, but will also help you to meet the word count criteria if your title question is a bit too narrow (although you can also edit your title of course!).

I hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.57%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (843)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads